All Indian police communalised, says BhushanFebruary 27th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) Team Anna member and Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan Monday claimed that police across the country were “communalised”.
“Police throughout the country are clearly communalised. Narendra Modi has communalised the entire state through his propaganda campaigns,” said Bhushan, speaking after a documentary film show here to mark 10 years of communal riots in Gujarat.
“In August 2008 people’s tribunal, we saw a trend that police across the country systematically frame Muslims in terror investigations when they can’t find the culprits. In such cases, they pick up anyone around whom a credible story could be spun,” said Bhushan.
Cautioning that such victimisation could even result in wrong convictions if the victim did not have resources to fight for justice, he claimed that even if acquitted, the victims lose five to six years fighting the case and suffer from social stigma of being labeled a terrorist.
He blamed sections of media for sensationalising such stories.
“Some of the terrorism could also be result of such false victimisation. It won’t be surprising to say 2 percent of these victims turn to terrorism due to such atrocities,” Bhushan added.
The documentary, directed by Shubhradeep Chakravorty, portrays the hardships faced by seven Muslims who were wrongly accused of different terror incidents in the country, even after they were acquitted.
“Such documentaries put a human face to such stories and help create empathy in the public for such people,” said Bhushan.
- Compensation for Muslim youths tortured in blast case - Jan 06, 2012
- WikiLeaks release: BJP has a habit of politicising issues, says Tiwari - Dec 17, 2010
- People's Tribunal warns against 'victimisation of Muslims' - Aug 25, 2008
- Noida police draw flak for exposing rape victim (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 31 convicted in Godhra train burning, sentencing Friday (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Digvijay rejects charge of communalising terror - Jul 24, 2011
- 'Minority women' gang raped in Bangladesh in 2001-02 (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- Anna movement was unarmed attack on corruption (Comment) - Aug 28, 2011
- Sonia ticked me off for criticising Chidambaram: Digvijay (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Partition, terror and women on book shelf (IANS BOOKS THIS WEEK) - Apr 14, 2012
- Graft shadow over Lokpal panel; Civil society backs Bhushans (Intro Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Corporate mafia fuelling corruption: Prashant Bhushan (Interview) - Jan 31, 2011
- Lokpal panelists reject resignation demand; PM says bill in July (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2011
- Congress communalising war against terror: BJP - Jul 18, 2011
- Top US law official calls gurdwara shooting a hate crime - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: atrocities, bhushan, chakravorty, communal riots, convictions, culprits, documentaries, documentary film, empathy, hardships, human face, indian police, modi, muslims, New Delhi, propaganda campaigns, riots in gujarat, social stigma, supreme court lawyer, victimisation