All accused in Lavalin case will be punished: AchuthanandanMarch 29th, 2009 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 29 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Sunday said all accused in the Lavalin corruption case will be punished. Achuthanandan’s bete noire and state Communist Party of India-Marxist secretary Pinarayi Vijayan is an accused in the case.
“The court has given three months’ time in this case for further action. Vijayan has already said that there is nothing in the Lavalin case. All those accused in corruption cases say they are innocent till the verdict comes,” Achuthanandan told reporters here.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has named Vijayan as the ninth accused for wrongly awarding contract to Canadian company SNC Lavalin for renovation of two hydro-power projects when he was the state power minister 12 years ago.
On Feb 4, the government sought legal opinion on the CBI’s petition seeking the governor’s sanction to prosecute Vijayan.
According to rules, the governor’s permission is necessary to prosecute a minister or a former minister. The court later gave the government three months’ time to take a decision.
When asked if he will step down if the party doesn’t fare well in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, Achuthanandan shot back: “No, I will not resign.”
In the 2004 polls the Congress-led United Democratic Front managed to win just one seat out of 20 and the then chief Minister A.K. Antony resigned taking “moral responsibility” for the poor performance.
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Kerala opposition demands Vijayan's prosecution - May 02, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- Antony not to be witness in Lavalin graft case: court - Jan 04, 2010
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Vijayan skips court, counsel wants Antony examined - Sep 24, 2009
- SNC Lavalin graft case: Kerala Governor sanctions CBI probe of Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
- Vayalar slams Vijayan for trying to drag Antony in graft case - Sep 25, 2009
- Opposition meets Kerala governor, wants Lavalin case speeded up - Mar 27, 2009
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
Tags: antony, bete noire, cbi, central bureau of investigation, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, corruption case, corruption cases, democratic front, hydro power projects, kerala chief minister, legal opinion, lok sabha polls, moral responsibility, pinarayi vijayan, poor performance, power minister, sanction, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan