Alina Saldanha’s entry into Goa cabinet deferredMay 8th, 2012 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 8 (IANS) Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Tuesday had to face embarrassment after the Election Commission asked his government to defer the induction of a non-elected person into the state cabinet till the election code of conduct was in force.
Parrikar told reporters that on the “advice” of the Election Commission, he was deferring the induction of Alina Saldanha, wife of deceased Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) minister Matanhy Saldanha, till the by-election in Cortalim constituency on June 2.
Saldanha is a BJP candidate from Cortalim — a seat which her husband had won in the assembly elections in March.
“I will not induct anyone till the by-polls are over,” Parrikar said, adding that the decision was taken in the interest of democracy.
The Election Commission, in its missive, had directed Chief Secretary Sanjiv Srivastava to defer Saldanha’s induction.
The suspense over Saldanha’s induction had been dragging for nearly a month.
Parrikar had said that it was within his constitutional powers to induct her and make her a minister.
However, activist-lawyer Aires Rodrigues had petitioned the Election Commission.
Goa’s new governor B.V. Wanchoo too has been against Saldanha’s induction.
He had said that her induction, when the election code of conduct was in place, would disturb the level-playing field of other candidates in the by-election.
- Cabinet induction of Goa's only woman minister in limbo - May 07, 2012
- BJP minister's death postpones Goa budget presentation - Mar 21, 2012
- Poll delays bonus for Goa employees, again - Apr 25, 2012
- Post Antony report, Congress mends ways - May 05, 2012
- Parrikar inducts six new ministers in Goa - Apr 08, 2012
- Parrikar still hooked to 'Nayak'-like solutions (Goa Newsletter) - Jun 16, 2012
- Goa governor, chief minister condole Deshmukh's death - Aug 14, 2012
- Assembly by-poll in Goa Oct 18 - Sep 20, 2010
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- 42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Goa plans advisory body on Muslim, Christian issues - Apr 02, 2012
- Goa mourns its very own Jairam Ramesh-like green minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Western Ghats being handed over to mining barons: Goa's green campaigner - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa information commissioner's posting hits RTI roadblock - Jun 19, 2012
- Parrikar sworn-in as Goa chief minister - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: alina, assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, chief minister, chief secretary, code of conduct, constituency, constitutional powers, election code, election commission, embarrassment, goa, induction, manohar parrikar, missive, panaji, saldanha, sanjiv, state cabinet