Al-Jazeera office shut down after Arafat murder bid reportJuly 15th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, July 15 (DPA) The Palestinian Authority (PA) Wednesday shut down the West Bank office of al-Jazeera, amid a storm over allegations that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas conspired with former Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon to assassinate late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
A statement issued by Prime Minister Salam Fayyad’s office cited incitement against the PA and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) as the reason for its decision to shut down the Qatar-based Arabic news channel’s local office.
The decision comes after al-Jazeera reported on a press conference for Farouq al-Qaddoumi, a member of the PLO Executive Committee, held in Jordan Monday.
During it, he produced what he said was a transcript of a meeting between Abbas, Fatah leader Muhammad Dahlan and Sharon in which they allegedly discussed killing Arafat.
PA and PLO have furiously accused al-Qaddoumi of lying.
“For a long time, al-Jazeera has given large space for reports inciting against the PLO and the Palestinian National Authority (PA), the latest of which was, what it said yesterday (Tuesday), inciting internal infighting and reporting false news,” said the statement.
“As a result of this, and to protect our people, the PNA has decided to take legal action and to suspend the work of al-Jazeera office in Palestine until the court makes its decision.”
The PA said it would nevertheless continue to respect freedom of the press, urging other media outlets working in the Palestinian areas to “do their work in a way that is not inconsistent with the national interest of our Palestinian people and the rule of law”.
- Ban on al-Jazeera operations in West Bank lifted - Jul 20, 2009
- Yasser Afrafat's body to be exhumed - Jul 04, 2012
- Swiss lab agrees to test Arafat's remains for polonium - Sep 04, 2012
- Al-Jazeera TV banned from West Bank - Jul 16, 2009
- Yasser Arafat was poisoned, says doctor - Jul 13, 2012
- Arab League to form panel to probe Arafat's death - Jul 18, 2012
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Arafat's remains to be tested for Polonium poisoning - Aug 24, 2012
- Palestinian negotiators had secretly agreed partial Israel annexation - Jan 24, 2011
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: al jazeera, arabic news, ariel sharon, fatah leader, former israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ariel sharon, leader yasser arafat, mahmoud abbas, muhammad dahlan, palestine liberation organization, palestinian leader yasser, palestinian national authority, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, plo executive committee, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ariel sharon, salam fayyad, yasser arafat