Akhilesh Yadav to retain Kannauj: SP leaderMay 24th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Firozabad, May 24 (IANS) Newly-elected Lok Sabha member from Firozabad and Kannauj, Akhilesh Yadav, the son of Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav, has decided to vacate the Firozabad seat, a party leader said Sunday.
However, the measure will have to wait till the Lok Sabha elects a new speaker.
According to Udaiveer Singh, chief of the party’s youth body, the Samajwadi Yuvjan Sabha, Akhilesh chose to represent Kannauj and not Firozabad as his margin of victory was greater in Kannauj.
In a recent interview, Akhilesh had said he would continue to serve the people, and focus more on the next assembly polls in Uttar Pradesh, where he felt confident of defeating Mayawati’s Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), rather then engage in power play or look for a cabinet berth in the central government.
Meanwhile, SP sources here said the former central minister and party’s national general secretary of SP Ramji Lal Suman may be fielded as a candidate in the by-election from Firozabad, which he had earlier represented thrice.
After the delimitation process, Suman moved to Agra city which was declared a reserved seat while Firozabad became general.
Earlier, there was some talk of the party fielding Rajveer Singh, son of Kalyan Singh from Firozabad but now party managers are not keen as they feel the association of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) rebel Kalyan Singh with the party had led to Muslims voting for the Congress.
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- 'Kidnapped' man challenges Dimple Yadav's election to Lok Sabha - Sep 12, 2012
- BSP not to contest against Dimple - Jun 06, 2012
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- Kannauj Lok Sabha bypoll is slated for June 24 - May 23, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to contest from Kannauj? - Mar 15, 2012
- Dimple files nomination, plays 'bahu' card - Jun 05, 2012
- Dimple collects victory certificate, thanks voters - Jun 12, 2012
- Akhilesh comes of age in rough, tough UP politics - Mar 06, 2012
- Dimple Yadav elected to Lok Sabha unopposed (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Akhilesh takes oath as legislative council member - May 14, 2012
- BJP cries foul over nominee's failure to file papers - Jun 07, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav: From football, movies to crown of UP politics (Profile) - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, assembly polls, bahujan samaj party, berth, central government, general secretary, janata party, kalyan singh, lal, lok sabha member, margin of victory, may 24, mulayam singh yadav, muslims, party leader, party managers, ramji, samaj, Samajwadi Party, suman