Akhilesh to host Pranab to lunch Tuesday (Second Lead)July 2nd, 2012 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 2 (IANS) A lavish spread and a grand welcome awaits ruling United Progressive Alliance’s (UPA) presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee when he arrives in the state capital Tuesday.
Officials Monday went into an overdrive after Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav decided to host a lunch for the visiting veteran leader.
The secretariat administration was Monday busy preparing invites and the menu for the grand reception.
Secretary of the Sachivalaya (secretariat) administration Prashant Trivedi told IANS that all the preparations were being made as per the “desired protocol”.
The former union finance minister is likely to first meet Congress legislators. He will also meet legislators of the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), the two major parties which have committed to extend their support to him in the presidential poll.
Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee (UPCC) chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi has formed a committee to oversee Mukherjee’s daylong visit to the state.
Mukherjee will also call on Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who supported his candidature as the UPA candidate for presidency after Trinamool Congress chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee refused to back him.
Congress party workers have been asked to be present in large numbers at the Chaudhary Charan Singh Amausi Airport when Mukherjee arrives Tuesday morning.
Lucknow would be Mukherjee’s third stop after Chennai and Hyderabad. He is rallying support for himself in the July 19 presidential election, in which he is pitted against P.A. Sangma, who is supported by the Bharatiya Janata Party, the Biju Janata Dal, the Shiromani Akali Dal and the AIADMK.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Pranab in UP Monday to scout for support - Jul 02, 2012
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Pranab receives warm welcome in Lucknow, meets Mulayam and Mayawati - Jul 04, 2012
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election - Jun 28, 2012
- Sibal meets Mamata to seek support for Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pranab will win, claims UPA - Jul 17, 2012
- Presidential poll outcome Sunday - Jul 21, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Sangma to meet BJP legislators in Lucknow Wednesday - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, akhilesh yadav, asian news, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, congress committee, congress party, grand reception, grand welcome, mamta banerjee, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, trinamool congress chief, tuesday morning, union finance minister, upcc, veteran leader, west bengal