Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power ministerJune 2nd, 2012 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 2 (IANS) Acting on the recommendation of state Lokayukta Justice N.K. Mehrotra, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has ordered a probe against BSP supremo Mayawati’s close aide former state power minister Ramveer Upadhyay, officials here said Saturday.
The investigation, ordered late Friday, would look into the allegations of misuse of power by Upadhyay and disproportionate assets acquired by him and his family members, besides several other irregularities during his five-year tenure in the previous government, informed sources told IANS.
A communique to this effect has been sent to the state Lokayukta office.
The Samajwadi Party (SP) government has, however, ruled out a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the case and instead ordered an inquiry by the state vigilance department.
Allegations that the former Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) minister awarded Public Works Department (PWD) contracts to beneficiaries known to him would be probed by the PWD technical advisory committee, according to the order issued by the Chief Minister’s Office.
An inquiry into an alleged land-grabbing case, wherein Upadhyay is accused of arm- twisting poor people into surrendering their land to him, will be conducted by the Board of Revenue, officials said.
Upadhyay, however, rebutted the charges and claimed that he was neither a corrupt man nor was he afraid of any investigation. “I have not done anything wrong and am ready to face any probe against myself or my family,” he added.
The chief minister Friday told reporters that his office has received a number of requests for ordering investigations against several BSP ministers and that he was looking into them seriously.
The probe against the former minister is likely to further escalate the hostility between arch rivals SP and the BSP.
- Former BSP minister's supporters threaten UP Lokayukta - May 07, 2012
- Akhilesh against bringing chief minister's post under Lokayukta - Apr 26, 2012
- Lokayukta wants another Uttar Pradesh minister to go - Oct 04, 2011
- UP government compromised on Maya's graft: BJP - Jun 15, 2012
- Minister withdraws plea against Lokayukta - Sep 10, 2011
- Three Karnataka ex-CMs named in mining scam FIR - Dec 08, 2011
- Land scam probe against another Karnataka minister - Nov 22, 2011
- Now Karnataka industries minister under scanner for land scam - Oct 29, 2011
- Akhilesh not serious on scam probe: BJP - Aug 02, 2012
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
- Whistleblower hounded by Uttar Pradesh minister - Sep 15, 2011
- Krishna to write to PM on Team Anna charges - May 31, 2012
- Land grab probe against one more Karnataka minister - Oct 24, 2011
- Karnataka CM-designate Shettar in land deal row - Jul 12, 2012
- Deve Gowda's yet another son faces probe over assets - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: akhilesh yadav, arch rivals, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, irregularities, lokayukta, lucknow, Mayawati, mehrotra, misuse of power, power minister, pwd, revenue officials, Samajwadi Party, technical advisory committee, uttar pradesh, vigilance