Akhilesh is candidate for Legislative CouncilApril 5th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 5 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was Thursday declared the Samajwadi Party (SP) candidate for the upper house of the state assembly.
Six other leaders including SP state spokesman Rajendra Chowdhary, Madhu Gupta, Naresh Uttam, Vijay Yadav, Revenue Minister Ambika Chaudhary and Umar Khan have also been declared candidates for the Legislative Council polls.
While Rajendra Chowdhary, seen by the side of the 38-year-old chief minister at all times, has been rewarded for his loyalty, Umar Khan is the son-in-law of Imam Bukhari of the New Delhi Jama Maszid.
In the run up to the Uttar Pradesh elections, Bukhari had appealed to Muslims in the state to vote for SP.
Former UP chief minister Mayawati had also taken the same route for running the state for almost five years.
It was rumoured initially that Akhilesh would contest from Jaswantnagar, a seat held for many times by his uncle and PWD minister Shivpal Singh Yadav.
But Shivpal Yadav refusing to vacate the seat, party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav decided the legislative council seat for his chief minister son.
- Bukhari calls on Mulayam, seeks more Muslim say in governance - Apr 13, 2012
- At 38, Akhilesh to be UP's youngest chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Bukhari, Azam Khan spew fire - Apr 07, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav files nomination for legislative council - Apr 12, 2012
- Akhilesh set to take over, promises a new UP (Roundup) - Mar 10, 2012
- Cancel my son-in-law's ticket: Bukhari - Apr 06, 2012
- Akhilesh takes oath as legislative council member - May 14, 2012
- Two UP Congress leaders hitch onto Samajwadi Party bicycle (News Analysis) - Apr 22, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav becomes UP's youngest chief minister (Third Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- With ministers like his, Akhilesh needs no enemies (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- Akhilesh takes over, shunts out Mayawati loyalists (Evening Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Akhilesh stakes claim to form government - Mar 10, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Mulayam pulls up government over Etawah firing - Apr 02, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav to be UP chief minister (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: ambika, bukhari, chief minister, chowdhary, council seat, jama, legislative council, madhu, mulayam singh yadav, naresh, pwd minister, revenue minister, Samajwadi Party, state assembly, state spokesman, umar khan, upper house, uttam, uttar pradesh elections, vijay yadav