Akhilesh calls for more police recruitment, better security infrastructureApril 16th, 2012 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) Making his debut on the national stage after becoming chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav Monday called for better security infrastructure, more recruitment to police forces and asked for extending “mega city policing” to Noida and Ghaziabad that adjoin the capital.
Speaking at the high level chief ministers meet on internal security, inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Akhilesh Yadav underlined the need of better coordination between security agencies of the state and centre and called for more recruitment in the security set-up as “police-population ration was very abysmal”.
Informing the gathering that Uttar Pradesh had taken concrete steps in the state to provide housing to policemen, Akhilesh Yadav demanded that the union government financially help it with Rs.5,000 crore in the next five years. He also rued the fact that provisions for the state police in terms of infrastructure and basic amenities were not up to the mark.
Pointing out that the central aid of Rs.100 crore to Uttar Pradesh was paltry, keeping in mind the state budget of Rs.8,000 crore per annum, he urged the prime minister to ensure that Uttar Pradesh police be granted a central aid of Rs.800 crore for modernisation. This, he said, should be extended for the next 10 years.
Under the modernisation plan, the chief minister mooted strengthening of video conferencing facilities between prisons and district courts, disaster management and fire services. Underlining the internal security threats to a state like Uttar Pradesh, which housed many a communally sensitive district and shared a 550 km border with Nepal, Akhilesh Yadav called for integrated checkposts at the border to check movement of subversive elements.
He also underlined the need to enhance forensic science labs. Other than raising the issue of growing cyber crimes and need to check them immediately through specialised techniques and crack teams, Akhilesh Yadav also called for extra security for the 2012 Kumbh Mela in Allahabad.
- Akhilesh calls for better security infrastructure in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Akhilesh meets PM, seeks funds for central aided projects (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Akhilesh meets PM, seeks funds for central aided projects - Apr 14, 2012
- Plan panel approves Rs.57,800 crore for Uttar Pradesh - Jul 18, 2012
- In Mulayam's deal, more central funds for Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2012
- US ambassador Powell calls on Akhilesh Yadav - Aug 31, 2012
- Akhilesh to attend meet on internal security - Apr 09, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav to speed up Delhi-Mumbai industrial corridor - Aug 11, 2012
- Unemployment allowance to be given from September: Akhilesh - Aug 14, 2012
- No compromise on law and order in UP, asserts Akhilesh - May 18, 2012
- Bahuguna wants UP to clear decade-old dues - Apr 03, 2012
- UP to develop districts adjoining Nepal border - Jul 20, 2012
- Maoist movement growing in Assam: Gogoi - Apr 16, 2012
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012
- Akhilesh set to take over, promises a new UP (Roundup) - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, better security, chief ministers, crore, cyber crimes, disaster management, manmohan singh, mega city, modernisation plan, national stage, police recruitment, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rs 8, rs 800, science labs, security infrastructure, specialised techniques, subversive elements, video conferencing facilities