Akalis field Sukhbir Badal’s wife from BathindaMarch 26th, 2009 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 26 (IANS) Setting up the stage for a direct battle of the two leading political dynasties in Punjab, the ruling Akali Dal Thursday announced Harsimrat Kaur, wife of Akali Dal president and Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, as the party’s candidate for the Bathinda Lok Sabha seat.
She will face Congress candidate Raninder Singh, son of former chief minister Amarinder Singh.
With no love lost between Amarinder Singh and the Badal family in Punjab politics, the contest on the Bathinda seat will be the focus of the parliamentary elections in Punjab’s 13 Lok Sabha seats.
Both Raninder and Harsimrat are newcomers to the political arena.
Bathinda in south-west Punjab is one of the backward areas of the state.
Harsimrat is the daughter-in-law of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal. Her brother, Bikram Singh Majithia, who is an Akali Dal legislator, had quit as cabinet minister in the Badal government in January to make way for his brother-in-law Sukhbir Badal’s entry into the Punjab cabinet as deputy chief minister.
Punjab will go to polls in two phases - May 7 and May 13.
- Sukhbir Badal leads with biggest margin - Mar 06, 2012
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Clouds' galore over Punjab's electoral skies - Jan 26, 2012
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Amarinder's brother leads list of Punjab Congress rebels - Jan 07, 2012
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Nearly 40 percent vote in Punjab polls (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: badal family, bathinda, brother, cabinet minister, chandigarh, congress candidate, deputy chief minister, legislator, lok sabha seats, love, newcomers, parliamentary elections, political arena, political dynasties, polls, sukhbir singh badal, west punjab