Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nominationJanuary 9th, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 9 (IANS) The ruling Shiromani Akali Dal in Punjab Monday announced that former Indian hockey captain Pargat Singh will be the party’s candidate for the Jalandhar Cantt seat in the Jan 30 assembly poll.
Pargat Singh, who was Punjab’s director-sports, took premature retirement from his post Monday.
The former Olympian will take on former legislator Jagbir Singh Brar, who is the Congress candidate for the Jalandhar Cantt seat.
Brar had quit the Akali Dal in November 2010 and joined hands with former finance minister and estranged Akali leader Manpreet Singh Badal. Badal and Brar then floated the Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) last year.
However, Brar switched loyalties from the PPP and joined the Congress party last month.
Meanwhile, Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal, who is Punjab deputy chief minister, Monday filed his nomination papers as the party candidate from Jalalabad assembly seat in Punjab’s border district of Ferozepur.
Accompanied by his wife and Bathinda MP Harsimrat Kaur, Badal filed his nomination papers in the office of Sub-Divisional Magistrate Rajiv Gupta in Jalalabad town, 300 km from here.
After filing his nomination, Sukhbir Badal said the Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) combine would contest the assembly poll on the development plank. He said there would be no vendetta politics or personal attacks.
Punjab BJP president Ashwani Sharma filed his nomination papers Monday from the Pathankot assembly seat.
Punjab will hold elections to its 117-seat assembly on Jan 30. The last date for filing nominations is Jan 12.
- 1,080 in fray for Punjab assembly polls - Jan 16, 2012
- Congress announces 114 names for Punjab poll - Jan 06, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- 801 nominations for Punjab polls rejected - Jan 14, 2012
- Two Punjab bureaucrats-turned-politicians bite the dust (Poll sidelights) - Mar 06, 2012
- Polling under way in Punjab (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Punjab: Prominent winners and losers - Mar 06, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal pitted against brother for Lambi seat - Dec 31, 2011
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: ashwani sharma, assembly poll, assembly seat, bjp president, brar, congress candidate, congress party, deputy chief minister, ferozepur, finance minister, indian hockey, jalalabad, janata party, nomination papers, party candidate, premature retirement, punjab, rajiv gupta, seat assembly, sukhbir badal