Akali Dal wins Punjab by-pollJune 15th, 2009 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jalandhar (Punjab), June 15 (IANS) The Akali Dal candidate Monday won the by-election to Nurmahal assembly seat in Punjab’s Jalandhar district, defeating the Congress nominee by a margin of 15,033 votes.
Akali Dal’s Rajwinder Kaur got 50,963 votes while her Congress rival, Gurbinder Singh Atwal managed to get only 35,930 votes, a spokesperson of the state poll panel told IANS.
Polling was held Friday, with the voter turnout crossing 70 percent. Counting of votes was held Monday.
Rajwinder Kaur is the widow of sitting legislator Gurdeep Singh Bhullar of the Akali Dal, who had died December 2008. The seat was lying vacant since then. By-elections were scheduled May 28 but postponed to June 12 following widespread violence in the state, particularly in Jalandhar district, in the aftermath of a bloody clash in a gurdwara in Austrian capital Vienna.
- Punjab by-poll passes off peacefully - Jun 12, 2009
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Over 65 percent voting in Punjab bypoll - Jul 11, 2012
- Over 65 percent polling in Punjab bypoll (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Punjab assembly by-poll postponed to June 12 - May 26, 2009
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Punjab: Prominent winners and losers - Mar 06, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP sweep Punjab civic polls (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Punjab assembly session begins Monday - Mar 18, 2012
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012