Akali Dal to honour seven MPs who voted against UPAJuly 24th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 24 (IANS) The ruling Akali Dal in Punjab Thursday announced that it will honour seven of the eight members of parliament (MPs) of the party who voted along the party line against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government in the confidence motion in the Lok Sabha. “The Shiromani Akali Dal will honour those MPs, who in spite of the offer of huge consideration, have voted against the confidence motion in parliament honouring the decision of the party,” state Information and Public Relations Minister Bikram Singh Majithia said Thursday.
One Akali Dal MP, Sukhdev Singh Libra from the Ropar Lok Sabha seat, abstained in the trust vote, in violation of the party whip.
Libra was Wednesday expelled from primary membership of the party and the Akali Dal started proceedings to get him disqualified from the Lok Sabha.
Majithia criticized Libra’s decision to abstain in the trust vote, saying that the Akali Dal had bestowed on him the honour of being a legislator, a Rajya Sabha MP and a two-time Lok Sabha MP.
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Vice president's poll: Numbers favour Ansari, says UPA - Jul 16, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- Akali Dal expels rebel MP for abstaining during trust vote - Jul 24, 2008
- Pranab favourite as lawmakers vote for new president (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- FDI: Government mobilising numbers, may opt for parliament vote (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Akali leader who voted for Manmohan government wins on Congress ticket - May 16, 2009
- Rollback FDI in retail to let parliament run: BJP - Nov 28, 2011
- Team Anna condemns Lok Sabha move to censure them (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- FDI: Government mobilising numbers for adjournment motion, talks to allies (Roundup) - Dec 01, 2011
- JD(U), MDMK expel two MPs each for violating whip on trust vote - Jul 24, 2008
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Pranab will win, claims UPA - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: bikram singh, chandigarh, confidence motion, honour, legislator, libra, Lok Sabha, members of parliament, mp, mps, parliament, party whip, progressive alliance, punjab, rajya sabha, ropar, spite, state information, sukhdev, trust vote