Akali Dal releases second list of candidatesDecember 27th, 2011 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 27 (IANS) Punjab’s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal Tuesday announced the names of 15 more candidates for the Jan 30 state polls, including that of party president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Badal will once again contest from Jalalabad. He had won the seat in a by-election in August 2009 by a margin of over 80,000 votes.
It had last week announced the names of 48 candidates, including that of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal from Lambi assembly seat.
The Akali Dal has so far announced a total of 63 candidates. The party is likely to contest on 94 of the 117 assembly seats, leaving 23 seats for its alliance partner Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Former union minister Balwant Singh Ramoowalia, who merged his Lok Bhalai Party with the Akali Dal last month, has been fielded from Mohali, adjoining Chandigarh.
Former Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal, who lost in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, will contest from Payal (reserved) seat, Akali Dal spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said here.
The list released Tuesday includes five sitting legislators, three former legislators, two former MPs and two women candidates. In the first list of 48 candidates, the Akali Dal had fielded six women nominees.
The single-phase election for the 117 assembly seats will be held Jan 30. The last date for nominations is Jan 12.
Main parties in the political arena are the Akali Dal-BJP combine, the Congress, People’s Party of Punjab (led by former finance minister Manpreet Badal) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
The Akali Dal-BJP combine has been running an alliance government in the state since March 2007.
- Badal asks Ramoowalia to rejoin Akali Dal - Nov 22, 2011
- Triangular contest on cards in most Punjab seats - Dec 25, 2011
- Lok Bhalai Party merges with Akali Dal in Punjab - Nov 23, 2011
- All eyes on Lambi as Punjab heads for assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal pitted against brother for Lambi seat - Dec 31, 2011
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Congress announces 114 names for Punjab poll - Jan 06, 2012
- Punjab parties welcome Jan 30 assembly poll announcement - Dec 24, 2011
- Amarinder's brother leads list of Punjab Congress rebels - Jan 07, 2012
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP set to create history in Punjab (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP make major gains in Punjab (Third Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Badal vs Badal vs Badal in Punjab's Lambi seat - Jan 07, 2012
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal leads with biggest margin - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: alliance government, alliance partner, assembly seat, assembly seats, atwal, bahujan samaj party, balwant singh, cheema, deputy chief minister, deputy speaker, finance minister, jalalabad, last date, lok sabha elections, manpreet, party president, political arena, state polls, sukhbir singh badal, union minister