Ajay Singh Chautala seeks quashing of corruption charges, trialJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 3 (IANS) Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) leader Ajay Singh Chautala Tuesday approached the Delhi High Court for quashing of the charges and trial against him for allegedly possessing wealth exceeding his known sources of income.
The matter is listed for hearing by Justice M.L. Mehta Wednesday.
A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) judge had on Sep 23, 2011 framed charges under various provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act against Chautala, the son of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, in the disproportionate assets case, after finding “prima facie” evidence against him.
Challenging the trial court order, Chautala submitted in his petition that he was not a public servant as on May 24, 1993, when the CBI began its examination of his assets.
Submitting that CBI had concealed the fact that he was not a public servant on the date, he said: “Since the petitioner was not a public servant as on May 24, 1993, the entire purpose of holding trial with charges of having acquired assets, disproportionate to his known sources of income of the period of May 24, 1993 to May 31, 2006 is against the provision of the Prevention of the Corruption Act, 1988.”
The trial court judge in his order had stated: “I am of the considered opinion that prima facie case for framing charge under Section 13(1)(e) read with Section 13(2) of the Prevention of Corruption Act is made out against the accused for acquiring assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.”
The court, in its order, also stated that Chautala was possessing assets which exceeded his legal income by 339.27 percent. CBI said Chautala’s legal income between May 1993 to May 2006 was Rs.8.17 crore but he, however, acquired assets worth Rs.27.7 crore.
The CBI had on Dec 24, 2009 filed a charge sheet against Ajay Chautala.
- Apex court clears way for Chautala brothers' prosecution (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- High court refuses to stay graft case against Chautala - Sep 19, 2011
- Teachers' jobs scam: Court paves way for Chautala's trial - Jul 28, 2011
- Why no sanction sought, court asks CBI in Chautalas case - Mar 22, 2010
- Chautala gets interim bail in graft case - May 03, 2010
- Court issues notice to CBI on Chautala plea - May 05, 2011
- Chautala's interim bail extended in graft case - May 04, 2010
- Graft case against Chautala brothers stayed (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Apex court rejects Chautala brothers' plea - Jul 04, 2011
- 'Hooda falsely implicated me to grab power' - Jun 01, 2012
- 2G scam: Order on charges against the 17 accused Oct 22 - Oct 14, 2011
- Bailable warrant against Haryana legislator Abhay Chautala - Feb 15, 2010
- Court's 'No' to Ajay Chautala's plea on Pakistan visit - Jun 16, 2010
- Haryana panel formed on takeover of Chautala trusts - Aug 24, 2011
- 2G scam: Framing of charges against 17 accused Saturday - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: ajay singh, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chautala, chief minister, corruption charges, crore, dec 24, delhi high court, inld, lok, may 24, mehta, petitioner, prevention of corruption act, prima facie case, prima facie evidence, public servant, section 13, trial court judge