Air India sacks 10 ‘overweight’ air hostessesJanuary 5th, 2009 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) India’s flagship carrier Air India has handed 10 air hostesses the pink slip for being overweight.The hostesses, who were grounded some months earlier, were served the termination notices in the last week of December, a senior Air India official, who did not wish to be identified, told IANS.
All terminated hostesses were serving on domestic routes.
One of the sacked airhostesses told IANS that she was grounded two years back and had not been given salary since then. She got one month’s salary along with the termination letter.
In June last year, five of the airhostesses had approached the Delhi High Court, challenging Air India’s decision to ground them for being overweight. However, the court dismissed their petition.
The court said there was “no unreasonableness or arbitrariness” in the airline’s decision. It noted that there was nothing wrong in the rules which prescribe different weight limits according to the height and age of an air hostess.
The air hostesses also opposed a circular issued by the airline withdrawing the permissible overweight limit of three kg over and above the upper weight limit for them.
Air India said the action taken against the employees was justified as it was mentioned in the contract.
For an 18-year-old air hostess with a height of 152 cm, the maximum weight permissible is 50 kg, while for air hostesses in the age group of 26 to 30 and a height of 152 cm, the weight limit is 56 kg.
When contacted, Air India spokesperson J. Bhargava said he was not aware of the issue. The airline’s executive director (north) D.S. Kohli refused to comment.
- Indian asked to explain why 'overweight' air hostesses grounded - Sep 19, 2008
- Indian Airlines sacks overweight air hostess, court asks why? - Jan 11, 2010
- Overweight airhostesses not required: Delhi High Court - Jun 04, 2008
- Malaysia Airlines to hire cabin crew from Frankfinn - Jul 15, 2010
- Court upholds CBSE abolition of Class 10 exams - Sep 01, 2011
- Pilots' strike: Delhi High Court to hear contempt case - May 02, 2011
- Air India management can alter policy for workmen: Apex court - Nov 19, 2011
- Delhi HC pulls up Air India for not solving pilots wage issue - Apr 27, 2011
- Striking Air India pilots move court over non-payment of dues - Jun 12, 2012
- Pilots urge Ajit Singh to start negotiations - May 10, 2012
- Relief for kin of crash victims: Air India plea rejected - Jul 09, 2011
- Focus on 'good' conduct, not weight of air hostesses: Supreme Court - Apr 24, 2009
- Delhi University gets court notice on lab assistant's plea - May 17, 2011
- Air India sacks six striking pilots - Apr 27, 2011
- Talk, settle dispute: Court to Air India, striking pilots (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012