AIADMK parliamentarian Jothi joins DMKMarch 21st, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, March 21 (IANS) AIADMK Rajya Sabha member N. Jothi, who resigned from the party last week after he was ignored for re-nomination by party chief J. Jayalalitha, Friday evening formally joined the DMK. Jayalalitha had chosen N. Balaganga to fill the seat for the party.
At a ceremony in Anna Arivalayam, the DMK headquarters, Jothi alleged that he was “repeatedly threatened” by Jayalalitha.
Jothi, a powerful lawyer and two-time member of parliament, had last week alleged that Jayalalitha was completely under the control of her close aide N. Sasikala and her relatives.
Jothi Friday told the media here: “I was repeatedly threatened over the telephone and physically by Jayalalitha and by Sasikala’s relatives.”
He quit the AIADMK because of the “unexplained relationship that exists between Sasikala and Jayalalitha” and also “due to the fact that Sasikala controls the entire wealth of Jayalalitha and the political apparatus”.
“It is only a matter of time,” Jothi said, “before Jayalalitha is totally isolated in all respect.”
“The only place now I can rightfully belong to is the DMK,” he said, “because this is the only organisation that will give me appropriate protection and a political future.”
Jothi, a renowned advocate, has been counsel of Jayalalitha and fellow AIADMK members for as many as 117 corruption cases, in many of which the AIADMK leader has been successfully acquitted.
Jothi hoped that he would “also be of use to the DMK in my legal capacity”.
Jayalalitha has called Jothi’s withdrawal from 113 continuing AIADMK cases as “unethical” and accused him of trading information. The DMK too filed a number of cases against Jothi, who may now get relief in them.
- Jayalalithaa sacks confidant Sasikala & Co (Night Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sacks long-time confidant Sasikala (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Sasikala's removal from Poes Garden may be permanent: Commentators - Dec 20, 2011
- Sasikala meets Jayalalithaa at her residence - Apr 03, 2012
- Jayalalithaa revokes disciplinary action against Sasikala - Mar 31, 2012
- Jayalalithaa sacks two more Sasikala relatives from AIADMK - Dec 22, 2011
- Sasikala's husband Natarajan arrested - Feb 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu Rajya Sabha bypoll on July 22 - Jun 24, 2011
- Jayalalithaa removes Sasikala, others from AIADMK - Dec 19, 2011
- Land worth Rs.624 crore restored to owners: Jayalalithaa - Oct 10, 2011
- 2G plays nemesis for DMK in Tamil Nadu polls: Analysts - May 13, 2011
- Sasikala says she wants to serve Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Former Jayalalitha lawyer could be joining DMK - Mar 17, 2008
- PMK leader Ramadoss' Rajya Sabha dreams go awry - May 15, 2011
- Jayalalitha again deposes in illegal assets case - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, corruption cases, dmk, friday evening, jayalalitha, jothi, lawyer, march 21, matter of time, member of parliament, nomination, parliament, parliamentarian, party chief, political apparatus, rajya sabha member, relatives, renowned advocate, sasikala, time member