AIADMK allots 22 seats to Left partiesMarch 14th, 2011 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 14 (IANS) The deadlock between Tamil Nadu’s opposition AIADMK and the two left parties — the Communist Party of India (CPI) and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) — for the April 13 state assembly elections ended Monday, with the Left getting 22 seats.
With five days to go for filing of nominations, the CPI and the CPI-M agreed to accept the AIADMK’s offer.
CPI’s state secretary D. Pandian met AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa Monday and finalised the seat-sharing pact.
Speaking to reporters later, Pandian said his party has been allotted 10 seats and the actual constituencies that have been allotted will be announced later.
CPI-M’s state secretary G. Ramakrishnan also met Jayalalithaa Monday and after discussions, it was agreed the CPI-M would contest 12 seats.
Speaking to IANS, CPI-MP T.K. Rangarajan said: “It is not the issue of getting some seats more or some less. We go by our political agenda which is to defeat the DMK-led front.”
He said the actual constituencies will be announced later.
With Monday’s deals, AIADMK has finalised accords on 74 seats with ten parties. It has allotted 41 to DMDK, two each to the PT and the SMK, three to the MNMK and one each to the Republican Party of India, the All India Forward Bloc and the AIMMK.
It is yet to finalise a seat sharing pact with its long time ally MDMK, led by Vaiko.
The strength of the Tamil Nadu assembly is 234.
- AIADMK allies upset over seat allotment - Mar 17, 2011
- AIADMK in seat-sharing deal with Muslim party - Feb 20, 2011
- AIADMK signs eighth seat-sharing pacts - Mar 11, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Deadlock continues in Left, AIADMK talks - Mar 12, 2011
- AIADMK announces deal with DMDK, new list of candidates - Mar 21, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- Filing of nominations in Tamil Nadu begins Saturday - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK to announce its candidates' list Monday - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK saves alliance, DMDK agrees to list - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK may reach deal with Left Sunday - Mar 05, 2011
- Congress, CPI name candidates in Tamil Nadu - Mar 23, 2011
- AIADMK-CPI-M seat-sharing talks inconclusive - Mar 07, 2011
- Fissures in alliance, Jayalalithaa puts off poll campaign - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK candidates list out, Jayalalithaa to contest Srirangam - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, assembly elections, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constituencies, CPI, deadlock, dmdk, dmk, forward bloc, left parties, pact, pandian, political agenda, rangarajan, smk, state assembly, state secretary, tamil nadu, time ally