AIADMK allies upset, exploring third front? (Lead)March 17th, 2011 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 17 (IANS) The AIADMK’s allies were furious Thursday after it named the 160 seats it will contest in Tamil Nadu’s assembly elections, sparking murmurs that some of them may form a third front.
Leaders of some of the major allies in the AIADMK-led alliance held a meeting with actor and DMDK founder leader Vijayakant, the biggest ally of former chief minister J. Jayalalithaa.
Queried about the meeting and whether a third front could come up, Vijayakant told reporters: “Everything will be decided tomorrow (Friday). We will have to discuss with everybody before coming to a decision.”
The AIADMK-led combine was set to take on the ruling coalition led by the DMK. But fissures over seat sharing have plagued the AIADMK, which has now come under attack from smaller allies.
The AIADMK has decided to contest 160 of the state’s 234 assembly seats, leaving the remaining 74 for its 10 allies: DMDK (41), CPI-M (12), CPI (10), MNMK (3), PT (2), SMK (2), RPI (1), FB (1), KYF (1) and AIMMK (1).
With the announcement of its candidates and constituencies, the AIADMK has dumped its long-time ally, the MDMK of Vaiko.
Anger against Jayalalitha led DMDK cadres to burn her effigy and shout slogans against the AIADMK general secretary.
Most upset in the alliance are the DMDK, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), Communist Party of India (CPI), MMK and the Forward Bloc.
Their leaders say the AIADMK had no business announcing which 160 seats it would contest when discussions on seat sharing was on with the allies ahead of the April 13 elections.
The list announced by the AIADMK Wednesday includes many constituencies the allies wished to contest.
Earlier, leaders of the Left and some smaller parties met here amid indications that at least a few of them favoured a third front — to take on both the AIADMK and the ruling DMK.
Asked is this was true, a Communist leader said: “I am not able to say anything now.”
- Fissures in alliance, Jayalalithaa puts off poll campaign - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK discusses seat sharing differences with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK to announce its candidates' list Monday - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK allies upset over seat allotment - Mar 17, 2011
- Filing of nominations in Tamil Nadu begins Saturday - Mar 18, 2011
- Congress, CPI name candidates in Tamil Nadu - Mar 23, 2011
- AIADMK announces deal with DMDK, new list of candidates - Mar 21, 2011
- AIADMK, CPI-M sign seat sharing pact - Mar 19, 2011
- AIADMK saves alliance, DMDK agrees to list - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK signs eighth seat-sharing pacts - Mar 11, 2011
- AIADMK wave sinks DMK in Tamil Nadu (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- AIADMK may reach deal with Left Sunday - Mar 05, 2011
- DMK, Congress in row over seat sharing (Evening Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, assembly seats, chief minister, communist leader, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dmk, effigy, forward bloc, founder leader, general secretary, j jayalalithaa, kyf, mdmk, mmk, murmurs, rpi, smk, time ally