AGP to be strengthened from grassroots, says MahantaMay 18th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 18 (IANS) Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) chief Prafulla Kumar Mahanta Friday appealed to AGP leaders to strengthen the party from the grassroots.
“The AGP has its base in rural areas and we need to strengthen the party from the grassroots so that it can become a strong alternative to the Congress in Assam,” said Mahanta, who recently became the AGP president after 10 years.
The two-time former Assam chief minister said the AGP was organising a meeting of all its district units and cells May 23-31 to chalk out a strategy to win back the people’s confidence.
“The Congress-led government has failed in curbing rising prices of essential commodities and in ensuring safety and security to the people. The AGP is the only alternative for the people,” he said.
Mahanta said the AGP made mistakes when it was in power in the state and the party would now focus on development.
- Mahanta elected AGP president - Apr 26, 2012
- Rattled AGP seeks re-poll using ballots - May 15, 2011
- Will fulfil promises if voted to power: AGP - Sep 06, 2010
- AGP blames machine manipulation for defeat - May 13, 2011
- Assam parties launch poll campaign with rallies - Jan 29, 2011
- Congress wins absolute majority in Assam (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Moderate to heavy polling in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Around 65 percent turnout as voting ends in Assam (Fourth Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- A fractured opposition in Assam - Oct 20, 2010
- No leader of opposition for Assam? - May 14, 2011
- Assam polls: Congress, AGP vie for AUDF support - Dec 26, 2010
- Assam all set for final phase polling Monday - Apr 09, 2011
- Gogoi admits corruption under his rule - Feb 02, 2011
- Congress, AGP in war of words - Jun 23, 2010
- Amnesty to separatists: Asom Gana Parishad divided - Nov 30, 2010