AGP-BJP candidate is charged with murder, says GogoiMarch 28th, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, March 28 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Saturday accused the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP)-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) combine of fielding a candidate chargesheeted for murder.
“I am not naming the candidate, but I am telling you that there is one candidate in the AGP-BJP combine who was chargesheeted in a murder case,” the chief minister told reporters. “Let the AGP-BJP deny the charge and then I will name him.”
The chief minister lashed out at the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani for “shedding crocodile tears” during his visit to Assam for campaigning.
“Advani was silent when there was a spate of secret killings in Assam when the AGP government led by Prafulla Kumar Mahanta was in power and Advani was the home minister,” Gogoi said.
“I would say the AGP and the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government at the centre connived to carry out the secret killings, a dark chapter in Assam’s history.”
Assam witnessed a series of killings of family members of leaders of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom between 1996 to 2001.
The chief minister also rejected Advani’s fear that illegal infiltration from Bangladesh was the state’s biggest threat.
“I would say that more than infiltration, unemployment is the biggest problem facing Assam today though I admit infiltration is also a problem,” Gogoi said.
- AGP to be strengthened from grassroots, says Mahanta - May 18, 2012
- Gogoi admits corruption under his rule - Feb 02, 2011
- Assam parties launch poll campaign with rallies - Jan 29, 2011
- A fractured opposition in Assam - Oct 20, 2010
- AGP blames machine manipulation for defeat - May 13, 2011
- Congress wins absolute majority in Assam (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Rattled AGP seeks re-poll using ballots - May 15, 2011
- Congress juggernaut decimates AGP, BJP in Assam (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Assam AGP-BJP in secret seat sharing deal? - Mar 07, 2011
- Assam all set for final phase polling Monday - Apr 09, 2011
- Amnesty to separatists: Asom Gana Parishad divided - Nov 30, 2010
- Moderate to heavy polling in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Congress, AGP in war of words - Jun 23, 2010
- Gogoi asks AGP to seek Prafulla Mahanta's resignation - Feb 21, 2010
- Assam polls: Congress, AGP vie for AUDF support - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: agp government, assam, bjp candidate, campaigning, chief minister, crocodile, crocodile tears, family members, home minister, illegal infiltration, killings, l k advani, mahanta, murder case, national democratic alliance, prime ministerial candidate, spate, tarun, united liberation front, united liberation front of asom