Agitated Sonia takes on AdvaniAugust 8th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) In a rare show of strong emotion inside parliament, Congress president Sonia Gandhi was visibly agitated Wednesday over BJP leader L.K. Advani’s remarks questioning the legality of the UPA government and was seen gesticulating at the opposition benches demanding his statement be withdrawn.
As a leader who is usually silent when she attends the Lok Sabha and is a keen observer of goings-on in the house, Gandhi’s anger was triggered by Advani’s remarks and she was heard asking him to withdraw his remarks.
Advani was speaking on an adjournment motion over the Assam violence, when he questioned the legitimacy of the UPA government and clarified that he was referring to the 2008 confidence vote over the India-US civil nuclear deal when the cash-for-vote episode was enacted inside the Lok Sabha.
His comments were later declared as withdrawn by Speaker Meira Kumar.
Gandhi was also seen egging on her party MPs to protest Advani’s comments. When Advani tried to clarify on his statement, she was also heard shouting “no, no” and asking him to withdraw the comments.
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Advani still fighting trust vote in his mind: Congress - Aug 08, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Advani's comments - Aug 08, 2012
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
- Advani keeps PM candidature option open (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- People brave rain to hear Advani blast UPA's corruption - Oct 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Advani taunts government to jail him - Sep 08, 2011
- Manmohan Singh's remark meant for someone else: Arun Jaitley - Mar 25, 2011
- In yatra mode, Advani slams UPA, ducks PM candidate issue - Oct 10, 2011
- Sonia says only Rahul to decide on his larger role (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Whose frontman were you: BJP, Left ask Amar Singh - Sep 06, 2011
- BJP stages protest in parliament complex - Sep 08, 2011
- Government protecting corrupt ministers: Advani - Oct 03, 2011
- His 'yatra' over, Advani calls for UPA's ouster (Roundup) - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: adjournment motion, anger, assam, bjp leader, confidence vote, congress president sonia gandhi, emotion, India, keen observer, l k advani, legitimacy, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, New Delhi, nuclear deal, opposition benches, parliament, rare show, violence