After Rewari violence, Haryana stops land acquisitionJuly 26th, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 26 (IANS) The Haryana government Thursday announced that it had ordered a stop on further land acquisition following two recent incidents of violence in Rewari district which left over 50 people injured.
The state government also ordered a judicial inquiry into the two incidents of violence, at Rewari and Bawal, in the past one week. The inquiry will be conducted by a retired judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda announced.
A government spokesman said here that the land acquisition had been stayed in the district till two committees, one of the state government and the other of farmers of the district, deliberate on the issue of land acquisition.
Large-scale violence was witnessed in the Bawal belt of the district Monday, 80 km from Delhi, as agitated farmers clashed with police and blocked the busy Delhi-Jaipur National Highway (NH-8).
The violence left over 50 people, including 40 police personnel, injured. The highway was blocked by the protestors for a few hours and five vehicles, including four state transport buses and a fire brigade vehicle, were set ablaze by the mob.
In another incident last week at the Rewari district headquarters, protesting farmers stormed the district secretariat complex and damaged government property. Nearly 400 farmers were booked.
Hooda and other Haryana government functionaries met in New Delhi Wednesday evening to resolve the issue of land acquisition and the farmers’ agitation.
- Haryana's Rewari area calm, highway traffic restored - Jul 23, 2012
- Haryana farmers torch police station - Jul 22, 2012
- Over 50 injured as Haryana farmers clash with police (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- 25 hurt as Haryana farmers' land stir turns violent (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 22, 2012
- Agitating farmers lift Haryana highway blockade - Mar 02, 2012
- Farmers vandalise Haryana government office - Jul 16, 2012
- New route to connect Delhi-Ambala, Delhi-Jaipur highways - Apr 12, 2011
- Jats finally call off agitation, remove blockade - Mar 12, 2012
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Chaos rules as Jats block Haryana roads, rail tracks (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Haryana panel to probe Sikh killings - Mar 05, 2011
- Curfew in parts of violence-hit Hisar, army help sought (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Curfew in Hisar, army help sought as violence intensifies - Sep 14, 2010
- Jat agitators block Hisar-Delhi road, rail tracks - Mar 07, 2012
- Labour pains for Haryana government (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: agitation, bawal, bhupinder singh hooda, chief minister, district headquarters, farmers, fire brigade, government property, government spokesman, haryana government, jaipur, judicial inquiry, land acquisition, New Delhi, protestors, punjab and haryana high court, recent incidents, state government, state transport buses, wednesday evening