After oath, YSR inks to fulfil poll promisesMay 20th, 2009 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 20 (IANS) Immediately after taking oath as Andhra Pradesh chief minister here Wednesday evening, Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy signed two files related to free electricity supply and low price rice - the two poll promises of the Congress.
After Governor N.D. Tiwari administered him the oath at the Lal Bahadur Stadium, YSR inked the two files amid thunderous applause by thousands of his supporters.
The files relate to increasing the duration of free electricity to farmers from seven to nine hours a day and hiking the quantity of Rs.2-a-kg rice from 25 to 30 kg for each Below Poverty Line (BPL) family a month.
After taking oath as the chief minister for the first term May 14, 2004 at the same venue, YSR had signed first file to supply free electricity to farmers and also announced waiver of all their electricity dues.
Addressing the crowd after taking the oath, YSR said these were the only two promises made by his party while the opposition parties came out with several “deceptive” promises for the sake of power.
He said the Congress retained power because of good governance and pro-people policies of both the state and central governments during the last five years.
- Year after YSR, political vacuum continues in Andhra - Sep 01, 2010
- Andhra to continue welfare schemes initiated by YSR - May 23, 2010
- Andhra's rice scheme to benefit 75 mn people - Nov 01, 2011
- Chandrababu Naidu following in YSR's footsteps to regain power - Sep 08, 2012
- Rangasamy sworn in, announces 25 kg free rice for poor - May 16, 2011
- YSR completes five years, confident of another term - May 14, 2009
- Jaganmohan files nomination for Kadapa Lok Sabha bypoll - Apr 15, 2011
- Andhra presents Rs.1.45 lakh crore budget - Feb 17, 2012
- YSR's performance, credibility behind Congress magic in Andhra - May 17, 2009
- Now Andhra to give rice at Re.1 a kg to its poor - Sep 21, 2011
- Jagan's meteoric rise in wealth and popularity (Profile) - May 27, 2012
- Jagan flexes muscles, hints at mid-term polls in Andhra - Dec 23, 2010
- Tamil Nadu freebie wars: AIADMK ups DMK's promises - Mar 24, 2011
- Action against fake poor in Tripura - Jul 31, 2012
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: central governments, chief minister, crowd, duration, electricity supply, farmers, free electricity, good governance, hyderabad, inks, kg, lal bahadur, opposition parties, poverty line, rs 2, sake, thunderous applause, two promises, venue, wednesday evening