After 15 months, Raja is out of jail (Roundup)May 15th, 2012 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) After 15 gruelling months, former telecom minister and DMK leader A. Raja walked out of Tihar Jail here Tuesday after getting bail in the 2G spectrum case with a rider that he can’t visit his former office or his home state Tamil Nadu without permission.
Raja’s numerous supporters, many from Tamil Nadu, broke into wild sloganeering and clapping once special CBI judge O.P. Saini told Raja that his bail plea was accepted — the last of 14 accused in the case to be enlarged on bail.
The celebrations continued outside Tihar Jail as Raja eventually walked out five minutes after 7 in the evening, and then at his residence here on Moti Lal Nehru Marg, with many waving the DMK’s red-and-black flags.
Firecrackers went off at both places. Aides distributed sweets.
“Considering the progress of the trial, period of custody of the accused and the fact that all other accused have been released on bail, I am of the opinion that further detention of the accused would not serve any purpose and, for these reasons, I am inclined to grant applicant (Raja) bail,” Judge Saini said, overruling objection from the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Raja was given bail on a surety of Rs.20 lakh.
But he directed Raja not to visit the department of telecommunications (DoT) or Tamil Nadu without the court’s permission.
In Chennai, the DMK expressed confidence that Raja would eventually triumph in the legal battle.
“We are happy. Getting bail is part of the legal process. We are confident that Raja will come out clean in the whole episode,” DMK spokesperson T.K.S. Elangovan told IANS.
There were celebrations in Raja’s hometown Perambalur, around 300 km from Chennai, too.
Besides the 14 individuals, three companies were also charged in the spectrum case related to 2G spectrum licences allocated during the tenure of Raja as communications minister.
The court issued its releasing order after DMK MPs Adhi Shankar and Tiruchi Siva furnished Raja’s bail bond.
The court also told Raja that he would not directly or indirectly make any inducement or threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case.
Raja will appear in the court on all dates fixed for hearing of the case either personally or through his counsel.
Giving details, Raja’s counsel told reporters that the judge called Raja towards him and said: “Your bail application is allowed.”
“Raja had not moved bail until all other 13 were granted bail,” he added. “Now all the accused are on bail. The case will go on.”
The CBI had opposed Raja’s bail application, saying he faced charges of accepting bribes of Rs.200 crore.
This, the CBI said, made his case different from former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, who was granted bail by the Supreme Court last week.
Raja had requested the court to release him on the ground of parity.
The agency told the court that Raja got bail, he may influence the witnesses as some of them belonged to Tamil Nadu.
Raja resigned as minister Nov 14, 2010 after the Comptroller and Auditor General reported that his 2008 decision to allocate 2G spectrum on a first-come-first-served basis had caused the exchequer a presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore. The CBI arrested him Feb 2, 2011.
The Supreme Court in February cancelled 122 spectrum licences allocated during Raja’s tenure.
It also ruled that all natural resources should be allocated through an auction.
- Raja granted bail, can't visit DoT or Tamil Nadu (Fourth Lead) - May 15, 2012
- After 15 months in jail, Raja gets bail (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Raja gets bail, can't visit DoT or Tamil Nadu (Third Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Raja gets bail after 15 months in jail (Second Lead) - May 15, 2012
- DMK supporters celebrate Raja's release - May 15, 2012
- Court reserves order on Raja's bail plea (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- 2G case: Citing parity, Raja seeks bail (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- 2G case: Raja seeks bail citing parity (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Officials told Raja to auction 2G airwaves, court told - Apr 10, 2012
- Raja's release may dilute 2G case: Jayalalithaa - May 15, 2012
- Court allows Kanimozhi to attend agitation in Tamil Nadu - Jul 03, 2012
- Kanimozhi, four others get bail, Karunanidhi beams (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- 2G: Ravi Ruia, three others appear before court - Mar 31, 2012
- 2G case: Citing parity, Raja seeks bail (Third Lead) - May 09, 2012
- 2G case: Decision on Chandolia's bail plea Thursday (Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: 15 months, bail plea, black flags, cbi, central bureau of investigation, dmk leader, firecrackers, furnis, gruelling, lakh, lal, nehru marg, objection, perambalur, saini, shankar, siva, spokesperson, surety, trial period