Afghanistan president vows to fight corruptionDecember 11th, 2011 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 11 (IANS) Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai Sunday vowed to fight corruption in the country while acknowledging implementation of laws was significant in curbing the menace.
“We are determined to fight corruption and implement the law to curb this social evil,” said President Karzai in his remarks to observe the International Anti-Corruption Day.
Militancy-hit Afghanistan has been ranked the second most corrupted nation after Somalia and Democratic People Republic of Korea, according to a recent report by Transparency International.
To root out corruption, the implementation of law was essential, said Karzai, adding the government should push the reforms and end nepotism.
Afghanistan would overcome the menace of corruption through its long-term fight, the president noted.
“Our foreign friends should not give huge contracts to high ranking government functionaries as signing such contracts would pave the way for corruption,” he added without mentioning any country’s name.
He also said that education was very important for taking the country out of current problems, as educating Afghans could help the country in self-reliance.
- Afghan president vows to combat corruption in his government - Dec 15, 2009
- Pakistani PM visits Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Afghanistan's future lies in strengthening democracy, checking corruption' - Aug 09, 2012
- Zero tolerance for graft: Patil - Sep 28, 2011
- CVC for global cooperation in fighting corruption - Jul 07, 2012
- Afghan corruption has doubled since 2007: Survey - Jul 08, 2010
- Getting back black money 'difficult,' says minister - Feb 13, 2012
- Karzai demands probe of US-backed anti-corruption task force - Aug 05, 2010
- Ramdev retracts, says also wanted Kiran Bedi on panel - Apr 10, 2011
- Now, pay penalty 100 times more than bribe in Russia - May 04, 2011
- Tackling corruption top of government agenda: PM - Oct 21, 2011
- Osama killing a unique moment for the region: India (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against two ministers in Karzai's cabinet - Nov 22, 2009
- US concerned over Karzai order to review West-backed anti-graft bodies - Aug 06, 2010
- Karzai needs to be reminded of his 'constitutional role' as President, not uncrowned king: NYT - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: afghanistan president hamid, afghans, contracts, corruption, education, hamid karzai, implementation, kabul, militancy, nepotism, president hamid karzai, president karzai, republic of korea, self reliance, social evil, somalia, transparency