Aerial vigil of booths to curb Maoist violence in BiharApril 14th, 2009 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 14(IANS) Two Indian Air Force (IAF) helicopters will monitor poll booths in areas hit by Maoist insurgency to counter the rebels who have called for boycott of the Lok Sabha elections, police said Tuesday.
“Two helicopters - MI8 and Chetak - are ready for aerial patrolling and operations against Maoists during the first phase of the polls (Thursday),” Inspector General of Police (Operations) S.K. Bhardawaj told IANS.
Bhardawaj will lead the Special Task Force (STF) team that will conduct aerial surveillance.
The government will also deploy central paramilitary forces in large numbers in sensitive regions.
Voters in 13 parliamentary constituencies will cast their ballot in the first phase of polls Thursday. These include the Magadh division comprising Gaya, Aurangabad, Jehanabad, Arwal, Nawada and Sasaram; Tirhut division made up of Saran, Siwan, Gopalganj and Maharajganj; as well as Ara district.
The outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) has a strong presence in the rural areas of these seats.
In the 1999 Lok Sabha polls, 74 people were killed in the state. About 20 people were killed in the 2004 general elections and the toll was a staggering 158 during the 2001 panchayat elections.
- Fearing Maoist violence, Bihar seeks four IAF choppers - Mar 26, 2009
- Maoists threaten to chop hands of voters in Bihar - Apr 08, 2009
- Bihar goes to polls amid heavy security - Apr 16, 2009
- Over 30 percent voting in Bihar till afternoon as Maoists kill two (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- 50 percent voting amid Maoists violence in Bihar (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Poor voter turnout in Bihar in initial hours (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Bihar has dozens of candidates facing serious criminal charges - Apr 16, 2009
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Bihar issues shoot-at-sight orders ahead of polls - Apr 15, 2009
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Shoot at sight orders in Bihar against troublemakers - Apr 15, 2009
- Fifth phase of Bihar Assembly polls begins amid tight security - Nov 09, 2010
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Maoists blow up school, mobile phone tower in Bihar - Mar 16, 2011
- Caste to play main role in Bihar fifth phase poll (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: aerial surveillance, aurangabad, chetak, communist party of india, general elections, indian air force, lok sabha elections, maoist, maoists, mi8, nawada, panchayat elections, paramilitary forces, parliamentary constituencies, patna, police operations, poll booths, saran, sensitive regions, siwan