Advani’s rath damaged on bridgeOctober 12th, 2011 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 12 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party leader L.K. Advani’s modified bus, being used as a rath for his cross-country Jan Chetna Yatra, was damaged Wednesday after it got stuck under the Koilwar bridge on way from Patna to Ara town, police said.
“A portion of the bus was damaged when its roof crashed into the bridge, which is not very high,” a police official said.
According to police, the rear windscreen of Advani’s bus was damaged and the front windscreen got scratched in the 30-minute hold-up as the bus’s roof scraped against the British-era iron bridge and the vehicle got stuck.
The bus also hit a tree when it was approaching a venue for public meeting in Ara, the district headquarters of Bhojpur. After the accident, mechanics were called in for repairs.
Police said earlier BJP workers, local administration and people joined hands to rescue Advani’s bus from under the bridge.
This was the second time when the bus faced trouble on the bridge. “It got stuck on Koilwar bridge on Monday as well, while it was on way from New Delhi to Patna, ahead the start of the yatra. But on that occasion it was not damaged,” the police official said.
The bus tyres were deflated to reduce by a few inches the height of the modified vehicle that is to be Advani’s virtual home for the 38 days of his cross-country campaign, and it was moved out from under the bridge.
Advani, after addressing a press meet in Patna Wednesday morning, left on the rath for Ara town, about 60 km from here.
The rath yatra was flagged off by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar from Chapra town Tuesday morning.
- Nitish Kumar flags off Advani yatra - Oct 11, 2011
- Advani's yatra an insult to land of Jayaprakash Narayan: Lalu - Oct 11, 2011
- A modified bus will be Advani's 'rath' - Oct 04, 2011
- Delhi in mind, Advani starts yatra from Bihar - Oct 12, 2011
- Advani yatra gets Mayawati's green signal - Oct 12, 2011
- Violence during Ranvir Sena chief's funeral (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Thousands join Ranvir Sena chief's funeral - Jun 02, 2012
- Troubles continue to dog Advani's yatra in Madhya Pradesh - Oct 15, 2011
- Advani's yatra disrupted, shown black flags in Punjab - Nov 13, 2011
- In yatra mode, Advani slams UPA, ducks PM candidate issue - Oct 10, 2011
- Violent protests rock Bihar for third day - Jun 03, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief shot dead; Bihar put on alert (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Advani's yatra enters Haryana - Nov 12, 2011
- Advani turns 84, recalls association with RSS - Nov 08, 2011
- Jan Chetna Yatra is Advani's sixth rath yatra - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhojpur, chapra, chetna, chief minister, country campaign, country jan, cross country, district headquarters, iron bridge, l k advani, local administration, party leader, police official, rath yatra, rear windscreen, town police, tuesday morning, tyres, wednesday morning