Advani urged to bring about truce in Sri LankaDecember 21st, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) Indian opposition leader L.K. Advani was Sunday urged to bring about a truce in Sri Lanka by a Tamil MP from the island nation.M.K. Shivaji Lingam of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) quoted Advani as telling him here that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) would raise the issue in parliament.
“We will also take up the matter with the prime minister (Manmohan Singh),” Advani reportedly said, adding that India would never let down the Tamil minority in Sri Lanka.
Shivaji Lingam is one of 22 MPs from the TNA, which is allied to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). He met the BJP leader at his residence.
The MP told IANS that he explained to Advani the situation in Sri Lanka, particularly the civilian suffering in the north as the military battles the LTTE to capture the rebel territory.
According to Shivaji Lingam, thousands of Tamil civilians have been displaced from their homes due to the war. Many, he said, were living in the open, under the trees.
He told the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate that the need of the hour was a ceasefire to be followed by talks between Colombo and the LTTE.
“We urge you to help end the fighting (in Sri Lanka) and bring about a negotiated settlement,” Shivaji Lingam said. “We in the TNA don’t see this as a war against the LTTE, it is genocide.”
The Sri Lankan government has repeatedly stated that it is determined to crush the LTTE and has no intention of talking to the Tigers.
- Sri Lankan MPs meet Karunanidhi - Jul 20, 2010
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Sri Lanka at 'critical point' post-LTTE, says politician (Interview) - Nov 15, 2011
- India must move UN to bring Rajapaksa to trial: Jayalalithaa - Apr 27, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian Hindu groups to back 'Hindu Tamils' in Sri Lanka - Dec 17, 2008
- Pro-LTTE delegation to meet Indian leaders this week - Apr 14, 2009
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka admits civilian deaths during separatist war - Aug 02, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Despite setback LTTE will keep fighting, claims Tamil MP - Jan 03, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, indian opposition, l k advani, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, prime minister manmohan singh, sri lankan government, tamil civilians, tamil mp