Advani turns 84, recalls association with RSSNovember 8th, 2011 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Veteran Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani Tuesday took a break from his cross-country Jan Chetna Yatra - public awareness march - to celebrate his 84th birthday in the national capital.
Addressing supporters, Advani recalled his long association with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) terming it as his “ideological family”.
Advani said he became a swayamsevak at 14 and considers it his “good fortune” that he got two families - an ideological family apart from his personal family.
The BJP leader said that emphasis on the institution of family was a social strength of the country and disintegration of families in the West had led to problems there.
“I feel if India has some power from the social point of view, it is the institution of family. If we compare with Western countries, the disintegration of families has led to problems,” Advani said.
Advani was born on Nov 8, 1927 and grew up in pre-partition Sindh.
Advani’s yatra will proceed from Jodhpur in Rajasthan Wednesday before its culmination in Delhi Nov 20.
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Party will decide PM candidate: Advani - Oct 10, 2011
- Advani's yatra an insult to land of Jayaprakash Narayan: Lalu - Oct 11, 2011
- Advani's 'yatra' not for PM's post: Gadkari - Sep 29, 2011
- RSS, BJP deny differences on Advani yatra - Sep 21, 2011
- UPA is byword for corruption: Advani - Oct 21, 2011
- Advani on 'weak' PM: Just calling a spade a spade (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- Advani's yatra: Crusade or pilgrimage? - Oct 30, 2011
- Jogi asks Advani to declare yatra expenditure - Nov 24, 2011
- Delhi in mind, Advani starts yatra from Bihar - Oct 12, 2011
- Advani's yatra enters Haryana - Nov 12, 2011
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
- A modified bus will be Advani's 'rath' - Oct 04, 2011
- Expected PM to act on black money: Advani - Oct 12, 2011
- Double whammy for Karnataka BJP, from Advani and RSS (Lead) - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: awareness march, chetna, country jan, cross country, culmination, disintegration, good fortune, jodhpur, l k advani, New Delhi, partition, personal family, point of view, public awareness, rajasthan, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, two families, veteran, western countries, yatra