Advani trying to shift blame on Kandahar: CongressApril 16th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) The Congress Thursday kept alive its attack on Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani over the Kandahar issue saying he was trying to distance himself from the 1999 plane hijack episode when three terrorists were handed over in exchange for the passengers.
Addressing reporters, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi accused Advani, who was then union home minister, of shifting the blame.
“Is it not true that Advani in his book clearly said he was not part of the decision making on Kandahar. Is it not equally a fact that the then defence minister George Fernandes in an interview after the Kandahar episode specifically said that Advani was present in the meeting on the Kandahar crisis,” Singhvi said.
“Why is Advani trying to shift blame on the Kandahar issue on the NDA government and Vajpayee (then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee) and is distancing himself,” he asked.
He said either one of them was lying or the other was incorrect.
The Congress has been targeting Advani for the then National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government having released three dreaded terrorists in Afghanistan during the Kandahar plane hijack episode in December 1999 as evidence of a man who talks big but does not deliver.
- Congress questions Advani's claim of strong leadership - Apr 16, 2009
- Genuine oversight, not monumental error: Chidambaram on Most Wanted list (Second Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Congress attacks Jaswant Singh for defending Advani - Apr 25, 2009
- 'Modi must give credit to Congress for Gujarat's development' - Apr 18, 2009
- Advani knew of Kandahar, say Brajesh Mishra, Yashwant Sinha (Lead) - Aug 27, 2009
- Advani knew about all Kandahar decisions: Brajesh Mishra - Aug 27, 2009
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
- Advani must offer unconditional apology for misleading nation on Kandahar: Congress - Aug 27, 2009
- Chidambaram admits mistake in terror list, reminds BJP of Kandahar (Roundup) - May 18, 2011
- Vajpayee also indicted in 2G scam, Congress tells BJP - Jul 26, 2011
- PM, BJP leaders greet Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2011
- Advani's attack on PM betrays desperation, says Congress - Jan 21, 2011
- Party colleagues put Advani on the mat on Kandahar - Aug 28, 2009
- In the name of Atal: Dhumal 'signs' in praise (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Why didn't Advani bring back black money, asks Sonia - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress, defence minister george, george fernandes, kandahar, l k advani, manu, national democratic alliance, nda government, New Delhi, plane hijack, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, shifting the blame, spokesperson, terrorists, union home minister