Advani responsible for Bhagalpur riots, says LaluApril 21st, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 21 (IANS) Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Tuesday blamed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and its prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani for the 1989 Bhagalpur riots in which over 1,000 people were killed.
A day after Bihar Congress president Anil Kumar Sharma demanded a probe into his role in the riots, Lalu Prasad deflected attention from himself and said: “It was L.K. Advani who was behind the Bhagalpur riots and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is his friend and protected him. Nitish appointed a new commission to probe the riots cases to give a clean chit to Advani.”
He said at a press conference: “It was my government that appointed a three member commission to probe the riots, which directly blamed BJP’s Advani….”
The railways minister said he had repeatedly stated that the Bhagalpur riots were a creation of Advani’s rath yatra (chariot campaign) the same year. It was, he added, the BJP’s plank to create communal trouble.
Congress leader Sharma has accused Lalu Prasad of protecting Kameshwar Yadav, one of those accused in the riots. He has alleged that Lalu Prasad instigated Kameshwar Yadav to carry out the riots to tarnish the image of the then Congress state government.
Kameshwar Yadav, accused of killing a Muslim shop owner with the help of his associates during the communal violence in Bhagalpur, was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2007.
However, he was given a citation for maintaining communal harmony by the state police in 2004 when the RJD was in power.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had in 2006 ordered a fresh probe into the 27 riot cases that had been closed by police citing lack of evidence.
The riots erupted after a Hindu religious procession was stoned, allegedly by Muslims. Over 1,000 people, a majority of them Muslims, were killed in the month-long riots in Bhagalpur city in October 1989.
- Probe Lalu's role in Bhagalpur riots: Congress leader - Apr 20, 2009
- One convicted for 1989 Bhagalpur riots - Nov 07, 2009
- Bhagalpur riots convict sentenced to life imprisonment - Nov 09, 2009
- Poll panel should organise debates between leaders: Advani - Oct 29, 2010
- Farm tenants' rights, caste issues on test in Bihar poll (Curtain Raiser, 4th round) - Oct 31, 2010
- Campaigning ends for fourth phase of Bihar polls - Oct 30, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- Ten get seven-year jail term in Bhagalpur riots case - Sep 02, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict has complicated Bihar poll scene (Comment) - Oct 09, 2010
- Bihar Congress president accuses Lalu of being involved in Bhagalpur riots - Apr 20, 2009
- BJP denies report about Advani not canvassing in Bihar polls - Oct 16, 2010
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Modi's pro-Muslim ad in Bihar dailies questioned - Jun 11, 2010
- Nitish Kumar will return to power: Advani - Oct 25, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: anil kumar, bhagalpur riots, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, clean chit, communal harmony, communal violence, congress leader, congress president, kumar sharma, l k advani, lack of evidence, lalu, life imprisonment, member commission, prasad, prime ministerial candidate, rath yatra, religious procession