Advani puts younger leaders in key parliament posts (Lead)June 3rd, 2009 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday went for a generational change as party leader L.K. Advani named 57-year-old Sushma Swaraj as his deputy in the Lok Sabha and key strategist Arun Jaitley, 56, as opposition leader in the upper house.
Advani, who was elected leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sunday, was authorised by the BJP parliamentary party to choose party office-bearers in the two houses of parliament.
“The party was almost divided over Advani’s successor. But the nomination of Sushma Swaraj has sent a clear signal of things to come,” said a senior BJP leader, requesting anonymity.
He added: “It is a direct message about who will lead the party in the times to come.
“This step should be enough to silence all who were hankering for the posts,” he said.
Murli Manohar Joshi, considered to be a leader of the ‘anti-Advani camp’ in the party, had thrown his hat in the ring for the post of the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha when Advani had refused to remain the party’s leader in the house following the election defeat.
Advani, however, continues in the position.
Advani named S.S. Ahluwalia as deputy leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
“For Rajya Sabha’s opposition leader, the choice was between Jaitley and M. Venkaiah Naidu,” said another leader.
Maya Singh and Ramesh Bais were named the chief whip of the party in the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha, respectively.
Former central minister Jaswant Singh was the leader of the opposition in the Rajya Sabha but he has been elected to the Lok Sabha.
- Jaitley named opposition leader in Rajya Sabha - Jun 03, 2009
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- BJP likely to announce presidential candidate today - Jun 21, 2012
- BJP leaders meet president on 'parliament subversion' (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP to discuss Pakistan terror links with Obama - Nov 07, 2010
- Floral tributes paid to Dr. Lohia on his birth anniversary - Mar 23, 2011
- BJP tells Patil to reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- NDA to discuss Mukherjee's candidature: BJP - Jun 15, 2012
- Advani, Sushma, Jaitley to meet PM on Kashmir - Sep 06, 2010
- We don't have illegal accounts abroad, declare BJP MPs - Dec 09, 2011
- BJP backs Advani's anti-corruption 'yatra' - Sep 09, 2011
- BJP delegation meets president to discuss Lokpal bill (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Sushma Swaraj, Jaitley suffer dehydration - Oct 12, 2011
- BJP parliamentary board will decide on PM candidate - Sep 28, 2011
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: ahluwalia, bais, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief whip, deputy leader, election defeat, generational change, houses of parliament, l k advani, leader of opposition, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, minister jaswant singh, murli manohar joshi, opposition leader, parliamentary party, rajya sabha, sushma swaraj, venkaiah naidu