Advani like rancid, ageing pickle: BJP leader ParrikarSeptember 22nd, 2009 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 22 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Manohar Parrikar has likened party veteran L.K. Advani to ageing pickle that had turned rancid and said his political innings were “more or less over”.
Advani had only a couple of more years left in active politics, the former Goa chief minister told a local news channel Monday.
“Pickle tastes good when it is left to mature for a year. But when if you keep it for more than two years, it turns rancid… Advani-ji’s period is more or less over. Another couple of years, maybe. But he should be around as a guide or a mentor for the party members,” Parrikar said.
Parrikar, currently leader of opposition in the Goa assembly, said Advani had been the best leader in the BJP in terms of integrity and character. “I have great respect for Advani-ji on these counts,” he said.
Calling for a change in guard at the party’s helm, Parrikar, 54, said it would have to project a new youthful face with credibility.
“I am not against elders, but the BJP should give prominence to leaders who are between 40 and 60 years,” he said.
Parrikar has reportedly been touted as a successor to BJP president Rajnath Singh, whose term ends in December.
- Parrikar calls Advani 'rancid pickle' - Sep 22, 2009
- Parrikar likens Advani to ageing pickle, BJP quiet (Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Advani like rancid pickle: Goa BJP leader (Second Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Goa chief minister to pen 'hilarious, bestselling' memoir (Goa Newsletter) - May 11, 2012
- Goa BJP backs Parrikar to succeed Rajnath, downplays pickle remark - Sep 25, 2009
- Is Parrikar going soft on ruling Goa Congress? (News Analysis) - Feb 24, 2011
- Goa's Manohar Parrikar no longer riding pillion (Profile) - Mar 07, 2012
- Gadkari-Munde feud inspires a sequel in Goa - Jan 30, 2012
- NDA to decide presidential nominee Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- Parrikar's mining flip flop angers activists - Jul 17, 2012
- JD(U) says Nitish eligible for PM, lauds Advani for blog - Aug 07, 2012
- BJP woes in Goa worsen after Gadkari visit - Feb 07, 2012
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- Advani blog: Sena fumes, JD(U) welcomes prediction (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Priyanka and other teasers: Poll scene hots up (Comment) - Jan 21, 2012
Tags: bjp president, chief minister, credibility, elders, goa assembly, helm, integrity, ji, l k advani, leader of opposition, local news, manohar parrikar, mentor, party members, pickle, prominence, rajnath singh, rancid, veteran, youthful face