Advani did nothing to stop Babri demolition, says PMApril 10th, 2009 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) Hitting out at the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday said L.K. Advani was present at the time of the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992 but did nothing to stop its destruction.
“What is the record of Advaniji? He was present at the time when Babri Masjid was demolished. If he was a strong leader, he would have staked his reputation in preventing the carnage,” Manmohan Singh said in an interaction with the Indian Women’s Press Corps at the Taj Palace Hotel here.
Attacking Advani for calling him a weak prime minister, Manmohan Singh retorted: “I am not used to abusive language. That is the culture inherited from parents, from teachers and the concept of what Indianness is.”
“Using harsh language does not solve any problem and accentuates conflict,” he added.
“Kamzor ya strong judge karne ke liye zor zor se baatein karne se nahin hota (By merely talking loudly one does not become strong or weak),” he said.
Alluding to Advani’s challenge to him for a national debate, Manmohan Singh said that I can’t match “Advaniji in public speaking or asserting things”.
“I believe that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. What is the record of Advani?,” he said.
“The BJP has not allowed parliament to function. The BJP shied away from all these discussions and now Advani wants to come and debate with me. And I don’t want to give him the privilege that he is an alternative prime minister,” he said.
Manmohan Singh also took on Advani for taunting him for not contesting Lok Sabha polls. “There have been PMs from Rajya Sabha. Advani has to amend the Constitution to ensure that his wishes prevail. Indira Gandhi had been one for one and half years, H.D. Deve Gowda, I.K. Gujral too,” he replied when asked whether he was planning to contest Lok Sabha polls.
- I won't give Advani privilege of being alternative PM: Manmohan - Apr 10, 2009
- Combative PM takes on Advani, keeps door open for Left support (Roundup) - Apr 10, 2009
- Advani renews attack on PM, calls him indecisive - Oct 20, 2011
- Combative Manmohan refutes opposition charges of buying MPs (Roundup) - Mar 23, 2011
- Manmohan Singh weakest PM: Advani - Oct 17, 2011
- Combative Manmohan refutes Opposition charges of buying MPs (Intro-roundup) - Mar 23, 2011
- I owed it to the people of India to respond to Advani: PM (Lead) - Apr 15, 2009
- We don't believe in dynastic succession: BJP's reply to PM - Mar 25, 2011
- Advani like old gramaphone record, says Congress - Feb 15, 2011
- PM weak, can't speak up against corruption: Advani - Feb 15, 2011
- PM asks Advani to wait for his chance (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Manmohan, Sonia blast Advani, BJP sues for truce (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2009
- Delhi in mind, Advani starts yatra from Bihar - Oct 12, 2011
- Advani blog: Sena fumes, JD(U) welcomes prediction (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Advaniji has not forgiven me for becoming PM: Manmohan - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: abusive language, babri masjid, bjp, carnage, half years, harsh language, hota, indian women, indira gandhi, l k advani, lok sabha polls, manmohan, manmohan singh, national debate, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime ministerial candidate, proof of the pudding, rajya sabha, taj palace hotel