Advani compares 2012 presidential poll to 1969June 15th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) As the opposition slammed the government for mishandling the 2012 presidential poll, Bharatiya Janata Party leader L.K. Advani Friday drew a parallel with what happened in 1969 when then prime minister Indira Gandhi’s call for a conscience vote led to the defeat of the official Congress candidate.
This was the first time this had happened in an Indian presidential election and Advani termed it an “extraordinary event”.
“In all the president elections, the most unforgettable was the one in 1969. This is at number two,” Advani told reporters here.
The 1969 election was caused by the sudden death of president Zakir Hussain. Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, who was then the Lok Sabha speaker, was named Congress candidate by party veterans like K. Kamraj, Morarji Desai, and S. Nijalingappa at a meeting Gandhi stayed away from.
Gandhi then made V.V. Giri resign as vice president and contest as an independent, asking Congress MPs and legislators to vote according to their conscience.
Giri won the election by a small margin, largely due to the support of opposition parties like the Left, the Akali Dal and the DMK.
During the last presidential poll in 2007, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat of the Bharatiya Janata Party, who was then the vice president, had also called for a conscience vote. He, however, lost to Congress candidate Pratibha Patil and immediately quit office. Patil’s term ends July 24 and her successor will be elected July 19.
Will the issue of a conscience vote arise again this year? For the record, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee has called for one after she and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav named former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam as one of their three choices for president.
- NDA to wait and watch: Advani (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Presidents of India - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab responsible for economic mess, says Sangma - Jul 11, 2012
- Presidential poll: Sangma hopeful of win, Trinamool support - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma to file election petition Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- CPI-M supporting Pranab to combat communal candidate: Buddhadeb - Jul 07, 2012
- Former Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat dies - May 15, 2010
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress MPs ahead of presidential poll - Jul 17, 2012
- Shekhawat, a vice president and political stalwart liked by all (Obituary) - May 15, 2010
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- Advani, Khurshid condole Shekhawat's death - May 15, 2010
- BJP rules out backing Mukherjee in presidential polls - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bhairon singh shekhawat, congress candidate, congress chief, congress mps, conscience vote, indira gandhi, kamraj, l k advani, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, morarji desai, mulayam singh, opposition parties, president elections, presidential poll, prime minister indira, Samajwadi Party, sanjiva, zakir hussain