Advani accuses Congress of injustice to Ambedkar (Lead)April 14th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) The National Democratic Alliance’s (NDA) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani Tuesday lashed out at the Congress party, saying it had not done justice to Dalit icon B.R. Ambedkar. The Congress termed the accusation “ridiculous”.
“The Congress did not do justice to Ambedkar. He could have been sent to the Lok Sabha but was defeated under a plan,” Advani said at a public rally here to mark Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
“He was conferred the Bharat Ratna in 1990, and the Congress was not in power at the centre then. It was the government of V.P. Singh, which was formed with our support that conferred the honour. This shows what the attitude the Congress has towards the greatest Dalit leader. It has to be kept in mind,” he added.
Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi described Advani’s statements as “futile argument”.
Union minister Kapil Sibal accused Advani of distorting history.
“The problem with Advani is that he doesn’t have a sense of history. He distorts history,” Sibal said when asked for his reaction to Advani’s accusation.
Priyanaka Gandhi, daughter of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, said in Amethi: “It is a completely futile accusation.”
Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian constitution, was born April 14, 1891. He died Dec 6, 1956.
- No disrespect shown to Ambedkar: PM, Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2009
- Congress did not do justice to Ambedkar: Advani - Apr 14, 2009
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Maharashtra celebrates Ambedkar's birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2012
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Bhim Rao Ambedkar on his 55th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Dalit memorials will be set up 'come what may': Mayawati (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- PM's post should not become fiefdom of a family : Advani (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Name Mumbai station after Ambedkar, says Congress - Jul 07, 2011
- NCP wants Mumbai station named after Ambedkar - May 30, 2011
- Congress wants Rae Bareli, CSM Nagar officials moved out - Feb 11, 2012
- Congress hits back at Advani over his anti-Ambedkar remarks - Mar 02, 2009
- BSP blames Congress for playing politics of religion - Apr 15, 2010
- BSP criticises Congress for ignoring Ambedkar in booklet - Apr 20, 2010
Tags: accusation, april 14, bharat ratna, birth anniversary, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, indian constitution, injustice, kapil sibal, l k advani, Lok Sabha, manu, national democratic alliance, nda, prime ministerial candidate, public rally, sense of history, spokesperson, union minister, v p singh