Adarsh Society land belongs to defence, says AntonyJuly 21st, 2012 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 21 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Saturday asserted that the land in the city on which the controversial Adarsh Society stands belongs to the defence ministry.
He said that contrary to the Maharashtra government’s contention that the land belonged to the state, it was actually in the possession of the defence ministry.
“There is our possession on the land and we have conveyed this to the commission,” Antony told mediapersons on the sidelines of a defence ministry function here.
His comments came in response to queries on the Adarsh Society scam and last week’s deposition by former army chief General Deepak Kapoor, who claimed he was not aware the building, which overlooks the sensitive naval establishment, could have posed a security risk.
Antony also said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had every right to investigate the Adarsh Society case.
Last month, the state government had challenged in the Bombay High Court the CBI’s jurisdiction on investigating the Adarsh Society case on grounds that neither the state government nor the court has handed the matter to it (CBI) for a probe.
- Maharashtra questions CBI's jurisdiction in Adarsh case - Jun 18, 2012
- Ex-minister, ex-Army chief may be probed for 'illegal' land transfer - Jan 12, 2011
- Bombay High Court pulls up Maharashtra Govt. over Adarsh scam - Dec 21, 2010
- No impact of Adarsh case panel's finding on probe: CBI - Apr 17, 2012
- CBI likely to file case in Adarsh Housing scam today - Nov 12, 2010
- Adarsh probe panel summons Deshmukh, Shinde - May 23, 2012
- CBI registers case in Adarsh housing scam - Jan 29, 2011
- No guilty will be spared in land scams, says Pallam Raju - Jan 18, 2011
- Defence law to be amended to plug land management gaps: Antony - Feb 02, 2011
- Defence Ministry will not cover up Adarsh scam: Antony - Nov 11, 2010
- Scams that rocked defence ministry since 2007 [To go with 'Bribe offer shocked me out of wits: Army chief (Lead)'] - Mar 26, 2012
- Ex-army chief did not see Adarsh a security threat - Jul 20, 2012
- Antony recommends CBI probe into Adarsh Housing Society scam - Nov 09, 2010
- Adarsh scam: 'Guilty will not be spared', says Antony - Dec 15, 2010
- Guilty will not be spared in Adarsh scam: Antony - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: antony, army chief, bombay high court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief general, contention, contrary, deepak kapoor, defence minister, defence ministry, deposition, jurisdiction, maharashtra government, mumbai, possession, queries, security risk, sidelines, state government