Actor-politician Vijayakanth accuses national parties of neglectApril 15th, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 15 (IANS) Actor-turned-politician and DMDK leader Vijayakanth Wednesday charged the national parties, like the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), of indulging in “double standards” on issues relating to Tamil Nadu, particularly river water disputes with neighbouring states.
“Water disputes like Cauvery with Karnataka, Mullaperiyar with Kerala and Palar with Andhra Pradesh could have been easily solved, if these parties, which ruled or are ruling these states, made serious efforts,” Vijayakanth said at an election meeting in Coimbatore, 500 km from here.
“Double standards of these parties were exposed, when they failed to negotiate with their counterparts in those states,” Vijayakanth said.
He flayed the ruling DMK for “failing” to come up with a solution to the Sri Lankan Tamils issue and solve the inter-state water disputes.
He said that both the DMK and the AIADMK are to be blamed for the power crisis in the state that has resulted in closure of many industrial units.
- Vijayakant held for black flag protest against PM - Dec 26, 2011
- Hundreds held during protest against PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- CPI to fight Tamil Nadu local polls with DMDK - Sep 28, 2011
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu civic polls - Oct 22, 2011
- AIADMK wave sinks DMK in Tamil Nadu (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Karunanidhi, Jayalalithaa lead - May 13, 2011
- DMK, Congress in row over seat sharing (Evening Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Cauvery river issue hots up between Tamil Nadu, Karnataka - Oct 28, 2010
- AIADMK, DMDK agree on poll pact - Mar 04, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- DMDK fields its own mayoral candidates - Sep 23, 2011
- BJP promises free laptops, fixed deposits in Tamil Nadu - Mar 26, 2011
- Karunanidhi did not press Tamil Nadu's demands: Jayalalithaa - Jan 21, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Night Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, bjp, cauvery, closure, counterparts, dmk, inter state, kerala, national parties, neglect, neighbouring states, palar, power crisis, river water, sri lankan tamils, state water, vijayakanth, water disputes