Activists condemn arrest of protesters in GujaratSeptember 19th, 2011 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) Curbing the people’s right to protest was a suppression of democracy, rights activists said Monday, a day after Gujarat police arrested riot victims and others protesting Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s three-day fast for amity.
“We condemn the undemocratic and arbitrary detention of riot victims and activists who were protesting against the state government of Gujarat and Narendra Modi’s ‘Sadbhavana mission’ in Ahmedabad,” the statement said.
“We believe that curbing people’s right to peacefully protest is a suppression of democracy and condemn this unjust action by the Gujarat state government,” the activists said.
Among the signatories to the statement are Team Anna members Prashant Bhushan and Arvind Kejriwal as well as film director Mahesh Bhatt, and Magsaysay Award winner and theatre director Arvind Gaur.
Gujarat police Sunday detained several activists, including Mallika Sarabhai and Mukul Sinha, when they were staging a protest against Modi at Naroda Patiya in Ahmedabad. Naroda Patiya, about eight km from the Gujarat university where Modi is sitting on his fast, was the spot of one of the worst massacres during the 2002 Gujarat riots.
- Discord on Day 2: Protesters detained as Modi fasts - Sep 18, 2011
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Modi's fast: BJP top brass to attend; Modi condemns communalism - Sep 17, 2011
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- Case against Modi should be closed: BJP - Feb 11, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Citizens group condemns arrest of Gujarat DIG - Oct 04, 2011
- Our publicity skills not that great: BJP leader - Sep 17, 2011
- Modi already a national figure, says BJP - Sep 18, 2011
- BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister's conviction - Aug 29, 2012
- Sushma to attend Modi fast on final day Monday - Sep 19, 2011
- Two AIADMK MPs to attend Modi fast - Sep 16, 2011
- Vaghela to counter Modi fast - Sep 14, 2011
- Narendra Modi to sit on fast - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: amity, arbitrary detention, arvind gaur, bhushan, chief minister, film director, government of gujarat, gujarat police, gujarat state government, gujarat university, magsaysay award, massacres, narendra modi, patiya, riots, sadbhavana, sarabhai, signatories, sinha, theatre director