Achuthanandan’s son member of Golf Club: SecretaryNovember 24th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 24 (IANS) Hours after Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan said he was unsure whether his son was connected with the Thiruvananthapuram Golf Club, the club’s secretary confirmed that his son was a member for the past many years.
“V.S. Arun became a member by fulfilling all the mandatory requirements. He joined sometime in 2003-04, and submitted Rs.75,000 as the fee for life membership,” club secretary S. Reghuchandran Nair said Wednesday.
Earlier, the chief minister was prodded by reporters on his family’s links with the elite club.
“See, I have to check to find out if my son is a member of the Golf Club. I will also have to check who all’s sons are members too,” Achuthanandan said.
Thiruvananthapuram Golf Club has been mired in controversy in the recent past, with the state government attempting to take over its reins on the basis of a provision in its land lease.
The Supreme Court in June directed the state government to form a 10-member committee to run the club.
Nair said that Arun Kumar became a member when Achuthanandan was the leader of opposition, and added that there was no reason why the chief minister’s son could not be one of the club’s 600 members.
“Just because one’s father is the chief minister, does that become a disqualification? Moreover, should a father know all what his son does,” Nair asked.
The 9-hole golf course, spread over 25 acres, is situated in the heart of the city. It was established by the royal family of Travancore in 1850.
- Chandy not in favour of state finance for golf club - May 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan flayed for 'smuggler' slur against ex-royal - Aug 22, 2011
- Kerala takes over golf course - Jun 26, 2010
- Achuthanandan defends son, asks for CBI probe - Feb 26, 2011
- Achuthanandan moves apex court against amnesty for ex-minister - Nov 01, 2011
- Achuthanandan justifies visit to ousted CPI-M leader - Aug 05, 2011
- CPI-M attacks NSS for anti-Achuthanandan remarks - May 04, 2011
- Achuthanandan denies he called ex-royal family smuggler - Aug 23, 2011
- Achuthanandan's son appointment against rules, finds panel - Sep 20, 2011
- Kerala panel indicts Achuthanandan for favouring son - Mar 08, 2012
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Achuthanandan's son faces suspension - Oct 26, 2011
- I am being targeted,says Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2011
- More trouble for Achuthanandan's son - Oct 21, 2011
- Achuthanandan worried due to son's case: Kunhalikutty - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: arun kumar, chief minister, club secretary, elite club, golf club, heart of the city, hole golf course, land lease, leader of opposition, life membership, mandatory requirements, member committee, membership club, nair, reins, royal family, s 600, thiruvananthapuram, travancore, v s achuthanandan