Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb inApril 9th, 2012 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode (Kerala), April 9 (IANS) There were question marks over both. But while former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee retained his place in the CPI-M politburo, former Kerala chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan failed to make it.
A 15-member politburo and a new central committee, which will be the watchdog of the Communist Party of India-Marxist for the next three years, were named Monday on the final day of the 20th party congress here.
Besides Karat, other members of the politburo are Pinarayi Vijayan, Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, S. Ramachandran Pillai, B.V. Raghavelu, Manik Sarkar, Brinda Karat, Sitaram Yechuri, K. Varadarajan, Bhattacharjee, Nirupam Sen and Biman Basu.
West Bengal’s opposition leader, Suryakanta Misra, trade union leader and Centre for Indian Trade Unions president A.K. Padmanabhan from Tamil Nadu and M.A. Baby from Kerala are the three new faces.
Baby made it into the politburo in the seat vacated by Achuthanandan, who was booted out in 2009 for bickering with the powerful Kerala state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan.
But the veteran had reasons for cheer as there was speculation he might be forced out of the central committee. That did not happen.
The 89-member central committee includes 13 new faces.
- Karat again elected CPI-M boss (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- CPI-M asks state units, leaders to keep peace - May 17, 2011
- CPI-M meet from Friday to discuss assembly polls - Mar 03, 2011
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- No question of Buddhadeb resigning: Biman Bose (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Achuthanandan's candidature in state unit's hands - Mar 05, 2011
- CPI-M begins introspection on poll debacle (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Post-poll CPI-M leaders' meet Monday likely to be stormy - May 15, 2011
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- CPI-M names Achuthanandan, Surayakant Mishra as opposition leaders - May 16, 2011
- Achuthanandan escapes with public censure - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: balakrishnan, bhattacharjee, biman, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, indian trade unions, kerala chief minister, kerala state, kozhikode, manik, new faces, opposition leader, padmanabhan, party congress, politburo, sitaram yechuri, trade union leader, v s achuthanandan, varadarajan, west bengal