Achuthanandan justifies visit to ousted CPI-M leaderAugust 5th, 2011 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 5 (IANS) Veteran Kerala CPI-M leader and former chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan Friday justified his visit to the man who was ousted from the party a few years back while the visit has ruffled the feathers of his detractors.
Achuthanandan said nothing much should be made of the visit last week to the home of Berlin Kunjuanandan Nair. The latter was ousted from the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) in 2008 for violating discipline after he spoke bitterly about party state secretary Pinnarayi Vijayan.
When a person visits a home for a function, it should not be looked at with any other meaning, Achuthanandanhe said.
“A lot of people opposed to our party had taken part in Vijayan’s son’s marriage. Nothing more needs to be read into my visiting Nair’s home,” he said.
But another party veteran and close aide of Vijayan, M.M. Lawerence, reacted sharply to Achuthanandan’s statement.
“His visit to Nair’s home was just meant to cause confusion because the day he went to Nair’s home there was no function unlike what Achuthanandan claims. I don’t think the visit was warranted,” said Lawerence.
Achuthanandan, 87, leader of opposition in the Kerala assembly, has not had the best of relations with party state secretary Pinnarayi Vijayan and this worsened just ahead of the assembly polls in April when he was initially denied a party ticket to contest.
Vijayan has also written in the party mouthpiece that the visit was not in good taste.
The CPI-M politburo is likely to take up the issue at the meeting that began in Kolkata Friday.
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012
- Achuthanandan escapes with public censure - Jul 22, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Take up national role, Medha Patekar urges Achuthanandan - Jul 15, 2012
- Achuthanandan to contest Kerala polls (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Vijayan will meet Dange's fate: Achuthanandan - May 12, 2012
- CPI-M expels senior Kerala leader - Jul 02, 2011
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
- Karat again elected CPI-M boss (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, detractors, feathers, good taste, kerala assembly, kolkata, leader of opposition, mouthpiece, nair, party ticket, politburo, state secretary, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan, veteran, vijayan