Achuthanandan firm on stand against Vijayan’s marchFebruary 24th, 2009 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuam, Feb 24 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member V.S.Achuthanadan Tuesday said he has made his stand clear on his participation in the state wide march of his party arch-rival and state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan.
“Haven’t I made my stand very clear a few times? Why do you want to keep asking the same question over and over again?” said Achuthanandan to repeated questions whether he would be on the dais at the march’s concluding programme here Wednesday evening.
The chief minister was talking to reporters after the weekly cabinet meeting.
When reporters asked if they could give the news that Achuthanandan would not take part in the rally, he walked away.
Achuthanandan, early this month after the march began, had on more than one occasion said he would not take part in the march.
Vijayan, who began his march on Feb 2, was asked the same question practically every day when he met reporters. Asked the same question Tuesday, he shot back: “There is still time left and we will all know tomorrow if he will take part or not.”
Vijayan has been accused by the Central Bureau of Investigation of irregularities in awarding a contract to Canadian firm SNC Lavalin when he was the state’s power minister in 1997.
Achuthanandan and Vijayan are known rivals and head the two factions of the party. The chief minister has for long maintained silence over Vijayan’s alleged involvement in the multi-million rupee scam, while most CPI-M leaders had openly defended the state party secretary.
CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat will inaugurate the public meeting to be held here Tuesday at the end of Vijayan’s march.
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Achuthanandan, three ministers out of Kerala poll fray (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Achuthanandan justifies visit to ousted CPI-M leader - Aug 05, 2011
- Achuthanandan relents, joins rival Vijayan's march - Feb 26, 2009
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan asks people to be beware of 'Gorbachovs' in state - Feb 28, 2009
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: arch rival, cabinet meeting, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dais, factions, feb 2, general secretary, irregularities, lavalin, party secretary, pinarayi vijayan, politburo member, power minister, prakash karat, state secretary, wednesday evening