Achieved success in internal security: PMAugust 15th, 2012 - 9:52 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) The government had achieved success in many areas of internal security, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Wednesday, citing the example of Jammu and Kashmir where people had participated in large numbers in the panchayat elections.
“The government had achieved success in many areas of internal security. In Jammu and Kashmir, people participated in large numbers in the panchayat elections,” Manmohan Singh said while addressing the nation on its 66th Independence Day.
“There has been a reduction in violence in the northeastern states,” he said, adding that the government was “engaged in dialogue with many groups there so that they can join the mainstream of development”.
He also listed efforts to deal with the Maoist problem.
“Maoism is still a serious problem. We have initiated new schemes of development in areas affected by Maoist violence to ensure that the grievances of the people residing there, especially our brothers and sisters belonging to Scheduled Tribes, can be removed and their lot can be improved,” said the prime minister.
He stressed the need to be constantly vigilant as far as internal security was concerned and said communal harmony had to be maintained at all costs.
Citing the recent blasts in Pune early this month, he said more work needed to be done in the area of national security.
- Maoism continues to be major problem: PM - May 22, 2012
- Maoism is a major problem, says PM (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Infiltration into Jammu and Kashmir continues: PM - Sep 16, 2011
- Lack of political consensus hurting economy, says PM (Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
- Reap the democratic dividend in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- UPA-II high on economy, to combat Maoism, corruption (Night Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Terrorists can still strike the through sea: PM - Sep 08, 2012
- Text of Prime Minister's Independence Day speech - Aug 15, 2012
- Maoism, terrorism, fundamentalism serious challenges: PM (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- PM lauds high turnout at Kashmir panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Kashmiris have voted for democracy, development: Sonia - May 23, 2011
- Manmohan appeals to Maoists, warns Pakistan on terror (Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- A Panchayati Kashmir: The importance of holding the Panchayat polls - Feb 10, 2011
- PM asks Maoists to talk, warns Pakistan on terror - Aug 15, 2010
- PM moans lack of consensus, vows to fight corruption (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: blasts, brothers and sisters, communal harmony, grievances, independence day, internal security, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, large numbers, mainstream, manmohan, manmohan singh, maoism, maoist, national security, New Delhi, northeastern states, panchayat elections, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh