Accused BSP MLA used to extort money: PWD engineerDecember 27th, 2008 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 27 (IANS) Days after an Uttar Pradesh engineer was allegedly beaten to death by a ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator, the victim’s predecessor in the public works department (PWD) has accused the same politician of regularly extorting money for party funds.C.D. Rai, an executive engineer with the PWD, told reporters in Mathura where he is now posted: “MLA Shekhar Tiwari and his supporters often used to pressurise engineers for money for party funds.”
Tiwari and his supporters have been accused of lynching PWD engineer M.K. Gupta in Auraiya district Wednesday. The MLA fled the scene and was arrested from Kanpur Rural district.
The legislator also used to demand that certain PWD contracts should be given to builders or contractors close to him, alleged Rai, adding: “If engineers voiced objections, they were threatened with dire consequences”.
Mathura is over 250 km from Lucknow.
Asked to name the political parties whose MLAs indulge in extortion, Rai said: “Most of the time, legislators of the ruling party indulge in extortion”.
Rai also alleged that if engineers did not comply with the extortion demands or raised objections, they were transferred.
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- BSP leader manipulating engineer's murder case, says witness - Oct 14, 2009
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Mayawati targets opposition, says no CBI probe into murder (Lead) - Dec 25, 2008
- Engineer lynched by BSP legislator, supporters - Dec 24, 2008
- Mayawati orders probe as engineer quits over threats - Feb 21, 2010
- Mayawati orders probe after engineer quits over threats (Lead) - Feb 21, 2010
- Legislator accused of murder threatens police - Mar 21, 2009
- Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party office - Jan 14, 2012
- Engineer's lynching: accused legislator's remand extended - Jan 03, 2009
- Underhand deals killed engineer, says Mayawati; opposition protests (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2008
- Policeman arrested in murder for Mayawati bash - Jul 25, 2009