About 3,000 Chhattisgarh farmers held in RaipurMarch 18th, 2010 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 18 (IANS) About 3,000 of an estimated 5,000 paddy farmers who gathered in Chhattisgarh capital Thursday for a protest at the state assembly complex, were arrested.
Police had made the preventive arrests when the farmers, who came in here from across the state, were heading towards the assembly complex for a protest in a bid to exert pressure on the state’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government to concede their demands, including for higher prices for their produce and free electricity.
Police had put up a number of barricades on roads leading to the state assembly building, which is about 12 km away from the capital.
The protest call was given by the Sanjukat Kisan Morcha (SKM), an umbrella organisation of farmers’ associations.
“Police had forcibly arrested thousands of farmers and denied us to stage demonstration before state assembly. But we will not give up our protests till state government honours its commitments, mainly to provide a bonus of Rs.270 a quintal to farmers, free electricity to five horse power irrigation pumps and interest free loans,” Virendra Pandey of the SKM told reporters here.
- Farmers' shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- Farmers' shutdown halts life in Chhattisgarh - Nov 25, 2009
- Chhattisgarh farmers call for shutdown - Nov 19, 2009
- Chhattisgarh seeks higher support price for paddy - Nov 24, 2009
- Thousands of Congress workers court arrest - Dec 10, 2011
- Congress workers to court arrests in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- BJP to stop trains in eight states Tuesday - Apr 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh town tense as farmers' protest turns violent - Nov 10, 2009
- BJP activists stop trains in Punjab, Haryana - Apr 03, 2012
- Chhattisgarh's prime farm lands caught in 'power' grab - Mar 02, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assembly adjourned amid protests - Dec 08, 2010
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Chhattisgarh farmers to get Rs.50 bonus on selling paddy - Nov 03, 2010
- Mixed response to shutdown call in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2012
- Chhattisgarh farmers renew protest against power project - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: barricades, bharatiya janata party, bjp government, bonus, chhattisgarh, commitments, demonstration, farmers, free electricity, horse power, interest free loans, irrigation pumps, preventive arrests, protest, protests, quintal, skm, state assembly, state government, umbrella organisation