Abid Hussain passes awayJune 21st, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Abid Hussain, a former Indian ambassador to the US and who held a series of senior positions at the centre, died in London Thursday following a massive heart attack. He was 85.
He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Born on December 19, 1926, Hussain was a member of the Indian Administrative Service and served in various capacities at the centre. He was secretary in the heavy industries and commerce ministries and chairman of the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade. He became a member of the Planning Commission in 1985.
Currently, he was a senior trustee of the Observer Research Foundation and also chancellor of Hyderabad’s English and Foreign Languages University, a member of the International Panel on Democracy & Development of UNESCO, Prof Emeritus at Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Prof. Emeritus at the Foreign Service Institute of the external affairs ministry, chairman of the Ghalib Academy and vice president of the Rumi Foundation.
He was a trustee of various prestigious educational, cultural and charitable institutions. He was a member of the Academy of the Kingdom of Morocco and the B.P. Koirala Foundation and a trustee of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts.
Hussain was honoured with the Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian award, in 1988 for meritorious services.
- Indian-American elected to Royal Society of Canada - Sep 10, 2012
- Obama names Bombay IIT graduate to key post - Sep 01, 2012
- India, Morocco to share expertise in consumer protection - Apr 28, 2011
- Kalam awards Infosys prizes to six noted scientists - Jan 09, 2012
- Bangalore professor among six Infosys' Prize winners - Nov 16, 2011
- HCL founder Shiv Nadar to head IIT-Kharagpur's board - Apr 07, 2011
- Morocco wants ties with India to go beyond food security - Jul 29, 2012
- Campaign to resurrect Mirza Ghalib's legacy gathers momentum - Dec 24, 2010
- Aide quits Bedi's NGO over travel row - Oct 25, 2011
- Award is recognition for team work: M.V. Subbiah - Jan 26, 2012
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Keshub Mahindra retires in Aug 8, Anand to take over (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- From palaces to people: Urdu mushaira reaches out - Jan 01, 2012
- Rajamony takes over as president's press secretary - Aug 02, 2012
- Why is state government against heritage tag for Western Ghats, question greens - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: charitable institutions, external affairs ministry, foreign languages, foreign service institute, heart attack, heavy industries, hussain, indian administrative service, indian ambassador, indian institute of foreign trade, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national centre, kingdom of morocco, london thursday, massive heart attack, meritorious services, padma bhushan, planning commission, prof emeritus, research foundation