Abdul Gani Lone’s daughter to contest Kashmir pollsNovember 6th, 2008 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 6 (IANS) Shabnum Gani Lone, daughter of slain separatist leader Abdul Gani Lone, has decided to contest the state assembly election from north Kashmir’s Kupwara constituency, an official said.”Shabnum Gani Lone, an advocate by profession, has taken nomination papers from Kupwara constituency Wednesday as an Independent candidate. (But) She has not so far filed her papers,” a poll official said here.
Abdul Gani Lone had won the elections from north Kashmir’s Karnah constituency in 1983 when Kupwara had not been carved out as a separate constituency and most of its voting areas fell under Karnah.
Lone’s People’s Conference has strong pockets of influence in Kupwara, the home district of the slain separatist leader.
“Shabnum Lone has a fair chance from Kupwara,” said Farooq Ahmad Bandey, a resident of Kupwara district.
Jammu and Kashmir, which is under governor’s rule, will vote in seven-phased polls to elect a new 87-member assembly. The first phase takes place Nov 17. The final round will be held Dec 24 and votes will be counted Dec 28.
- Brisk voting, long queues in Kashmir (Lead) - Nov 30, 2008
- Huge voter turnout in Kashmir's third phase polling (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2008
- Kashmiri women contesting poll to usher in change - Nov 28, 2008
- Third time, Kashmir rejects boycott call (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2008
- Third phase Kashmir poll can throw up surprises (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 28, 2008
- Slain Hurriyat Conference leader Abdul Gani Lone''s daughter jumps into election fray - Nov 20, 2008
- Poll notification for third phase issued in Kashmir - Nov 04, 2008
- Shabnam Lone defies boycott call, says yes to polls - Nov 20, 2008
- Kashmir's separatist leader to contest elections - Apr 11, 2009
- Panchayat polls begin in Kashmir - Apr 13, 2011
- Fifth phase of panchayat polls begin in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- After Twitter comment, Omar drives to Handwara (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- All eyes on Sajjad Lone (Poll Curtainraiser - Jammu and Kashmir) - May 12, 2009
- Kashmir set for third round of elections amid tight security - Nov 29, 2008
- Third phase of panchayat polls begins in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2011