Aamir appeals to Anna to end fastAugust 27th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) Bollywood star Aamir Khan Saturday urged Anna Hazare to end his fast for a strong anti-corruption legislation, saying the 74-year-old was needed for future battles against graft.
“I am concerned (about his health). I am sure all of you are also worried about Anna’s health,” the actor told the thousands gathered at the Ramlila Maidan here.
“I would like to request to Annaji to bring an end to his fast. We are all very worried about him. It has been 12 days. The bill will take time and it should undergo the process, a lot of debates will have to take place… and they are mandatory,” he added.
To express his support, Aamir flew down from Mumbai with his friend, filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani who made “Lage Raho Munnabhai”, which promoted Gandhigiri.
“We all need to stand in support of Annaji to bring a halt to this matter. The whole country is actively participating now but we need to understand that our support should not go waste,” said the 46-year-old actor-filmmaker, who had also extended support during Hazare’s first fast for the Jan Lokpal bill in April.
Aamir also urged the countrymen to eradicate bribery at the individual level.
“After the bill passes, we have to make the choice - whether we want to take bribe or not. That is what will bring the whole decision active in daily lives,” he said.
However, before concluding his speech, Aamir repeated himself: “We need Annaji’s leadership. That is why I would like to request again that please consider my request and bring a halt to your fast.”
While Aamir and Hirani were present at the venue, people also sang the song “Chale Chalo” from Aamir-starrer Oscar-nominated movie “Lagaan”, with the star joining it. The motivational song urges people to remain daunted at their task.
Earlier in the day, singer Sonu Nigam reached Ramlila Maidan to express solidarity, and sang the hymn “Vaishnav jan to”.
- Film fraternity came out in full strength to support Anna's movement - Aug 28, 2011
- Anna to move to Ramlila ground Friday - Aug 18, 2011
- Virtual world cheers Anna triumph - Aug 28, 2011
- Hazare loses 5.5 kg, vital parameters fine (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Anna to continue his fast at Ramlila ground Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Thousands throng Ramlila Ground to support Anna (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Maintain decorum of movement, Kejriwal tells supporters - Aug 23, 2011
- Fasting Hazare loses six kg - Aug 25, 2011
- Anna's fast enters day 7, crowds throng Ramlila ground (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Standoff continues, PM says anything can happen - Aug 24, 2011
- Hazare's agitation will benefit future generations: Ramdev - Aug 24, 2011
- Hazare accepts Tiwari's written apology - Sep 21, 2011
- Ralegan Siddhi celebrates Anna's victory - Aug 28, 2011
- Ramdev begins three-day fast, warns of revolution (Third Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Fasting Anna calls for 'revolution' as thousands rally (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, anna hazare, annaji, bollywood star, bribe, bribery, chalo, corruption, countrymen, debates, graft, hirani, hymn, lagaan, maidan, mumbai, munnabhai, New Delhi, solidarity, sonu nigam